Connection Question - Active Monitors with Balanced XLR and TRS Inputs
Jun 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

StratocasterMan

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a connection question. I was taking a look at some JBL LSR305 Active Studio Monitors. These monitors only have two inputs. Both are labeled balanced. One input is XLR and the other is TRS. Here's a photo:

I was thinking about using them for computer audio. I have a FiiO E17 DAC docked to a FiiO E09K headphone amp. The EO9K headphone amp has RCA line-outputs like this:

My question is, is there a way to run from the the RCA unbalanced Line Outs of the FiiO E09K headphone amp to the balanced inputs of the JBL monitors with just cables? I'm confused about that since the there aren't any unbalanced inputs in the JBL monitors. I can find RCA to TRS cables like this, but they are dual RCA to single TRS, so that wouldn't give me a left and right...

Does anyone know how I could connect the monitors from the RCA Line-Outs of my headphone amp? Thanks...

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 3
  I have a connection question. I was taking a look at some JBL LSR305 Active Studio Monitors. These monitors only have two inputs. Both are labeled balanced. One input is XLR and the other is TRS. Here's a photo:
I was thinking about using them for computer audio. I have a FiiO E17 DAC docked to a FiiO E09K headphone amp. The EO9K headphone amp has RCA line-outputs like this:
My question is, is there a way to run from the the RCA unbalanced Line Outs of the FiiO E09K headphone amp to the balanced inputs of the JBL monitors with just cables? I'm confused about that since the there aren't any unbalanced inputs in the JBL monitors. I can find RCA to TRS cables like this, but they are dual RCA to single TRS, so that wouldn't give me a left and right...
Does anyone know how I could connect the monitors from the RCA Line-Outs of my headphone amp? Thanks...

It looks like you would use a dual RCA to dual TS (Mono) 1/4" plugs cable.
Hose CPR-202 6' cable (I use this one myself).
The LSR305 appear to come preset for using a unbalanced cable connection.
Check the LSR305/308 manual, page 7.
The "Input Sensitivity" switch has two setting, the -10dBV appears to be for unbalanced connection
(TRS jack only) and the +4dBu for a balanced cable connection (XLR & TRS)

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you very much, PurpleAngel. I didn't read the owner's manual and the "balanced" labeling on the back of the monitors threw me off. I see now that the owner's manual does state that they work with unbalanced connections. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back