Connection advice
Jan 15, 2004 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uoods

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting under, so I apologize in advance if it isn't. This is the basic dilemma:

On my computer at school here I have an Audigy 2 running, not my M-audio at home. I have just the card, not the breakout box. I had previously been using just headphones with my meta42 amp, but recently succumbed to getting a set of speakers. Now, the Audigy 2 has only one analog output. What's the best way of going about connecting both the speakers and the headphones? Note, the speakers (Swans T120's) don't have headphone out or line out.

I had read somewhere that using a plain old Y splitter isn't even good or recommended for headphones of different impdances, so I don't know about speakers and headphones.

Thanks for any ideas.

(This is a repost, I had posted in the source forum but was ignored)

Jan 15, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Best low cost solution for your situation, which I had not too long ago, is to buy a simple cheap switchbox. You can get one from Fry's for either $4 or $7, I forget. Did nothing to the sound as far as I can tell. Mind you, this isn't the fancy schmancy switchbox from their A/V department, it's the one in the electronics section. I don't know anywhere else that has one this cheap but maybe you have some electronics stores near you.

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I've tried that y connector configuration before, and I worked just fine with me
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Oh yeah, y-connector works mostly fine in this case. Switchbox is technically better. Depends on your ears though. It's not necessarily cheaper than the cheap switchbox though you will save on cables
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes, but if your really into switchboxes and go all out with high quality materials (like me
biggrin.gif
), with 4 pairs of cardas RCA's and a pair of NKK switches, a case and good internal wires plus labor, the price may go up to $150
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Like I said, the el cheapo switchbox at fry's is $4 or so
smily_headphones1.gif
It works
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back