Connecting two speakers to 1 mac air 13". 2.1 klipsch promedia and maybe a rokit
Jun 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jolthan90

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I currently own a Klipsch promedia 2.1 sound system, and I would like to add another speaker to my setup. Preferably a Rokit from the multitude of recommendations. First of all, I'm using a Mac air 13", and I'm wondering if I could actually use two separate speakers connected to my mac. Other answers have recommended a audio splitter and in my experience, the audio splitters that I have used are terrible, either through clipping or sometimes it becomes mono sound.

I am willing to spend some money (not much) on solutions. I'm wondering if theres such a thing as a USB port, for audio instead. (How does EDM concerts utilize so many different speakers?)

Thanks, Sam

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 6
If your looking for better sound, might as well just totally replace the ProMedia 2.1 with something else.
Or maybe just get a nice external DAC to go between the MAC and the ProMedia.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Hmm the thing is, I'm willing to spend approx. 200 usd to improve my current setup and the promedia is actually pretty new (around 6 months, I got it as a gift) What I assumed, was that speakers behaved like video cards, and you could simply just add another one and run an SLI config. 
Also, to your suggestion, most of my songs are in 256kbps, but I try to make sure most of them are 320kbps, would adding a DAC greatly improve the sound?

Thanks

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 6
  Hmm the thing is, I'm willing to spend approx. 200 usd to improve my current setup and the ProMedia is actually pretty new (around 6 months, I got it as a gift) What I assumed, was that speakers behaved like video cards, and you could simply just add another one and run an SLI config. 
Also, to your suggestion, most of my songs are in 256kbps, but I try to make sure most of them are 320kbps, would adding a DAC greatly improve the sound?

Thanks

Mixing two different pairs of speakers for stereo audio might just make the sound worse.
So it's not like running SLI.

Adding an external DAC is the only way I can Think of to improve audio with your current setup..

How much you would have to spend on a DAC to make a noticeable difference?
Maybe a Hifimediy Sabre U2 DAC, $57+shipping
or Schiit Modi DAC, $99+tax/shipping.
Just not sure how much of a noticeable improvement you would hear.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Mixing two different pairs of speakers for stereo audio might just make the sound worse.

Agreed. If you try go to to 3.1, the goal typically is timbre match the front three speakers, which generally means buying another of the exact same speaker or a center channel designed by the manufacturer to match. Neither of those are an option for the Promedias. Plus, you would need a soundcard that has hookups for multichannel audio.

So I agree with PurpleAngel. Best to think about another upgrade path.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Here's what I did for my office. Topping vx-1 amp. Plays via usb from my macbook. Has nice dac and headphone amp too

http://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-Tripath-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital/dp/B00H6XDE4S

Then, polk audio monitor 30s via ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360893693707?lpid=82

Amazing for about 220.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back