Connecting two amps to one DAC
Mar 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CJG888

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it possible to connect two amps to the same DAC using a Y-splitter, only switching on the one currently in use? Will the presence of a second, powered-down amp on the DAC output degrade the sound?

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Should be no problem - I run two amplifiers in parallel in a similar manner (one has a loop return). Can even have them on at the same time - not that I can listen to two pairs of headphones at once. :xf_eek:

Just make sure the splitter isn't crap (I'm not saying buy boutique cables, but there's some really bad stuff out there in the world of "hook-up accessories" that you can find in department stores, like hair thin conductors and fall-apart build quality).

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 7
While normally there would be little change of tone of multiple inputs from a DACX

You have to remember the reduction in input impedance .Too many and "highs" will be reduced also that the output from the DAC is "current limited" by a small value series resistance in front of the output audio chip/wont matter so much if output is discrete construction.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 7
It's a TeraDak V3.1D NOS DAC. It has 8 DAC ICs in parallel, connected to the output sockets via a capacitor. Does that mean that connecting two amps in parallel (even if only one of the two will be switched on at any time) would not be a good idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back