Connecting turntable to AP192?
Jul 27, 2005 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to be able to connect my turntable to my M-Audio Audiophile 192 simply so I wouldn't need to worry about getting an amplifier with 2 sets of inputs. Would this degrade sound quality too terribly? Would it be a direct pass-through or would the signal go through an A/D conversion?

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I'd like to be able to connect my turntable to my M-Audio Audiophile 192 simply so I wouldn't need to worry about getting an amplifier with 2 sets of inputs. Would this degrade sound quality too terribly? Would it be a direct pass-through or would the signal go through an A/D conversion?

All is depending on the hardware you are having there and what for you want to connect it to AP (are you going to rip vinyls or just listen them through AP).

If you don't have a (pre)amplifier with phono input then you need a preamplifier with least RIAA.

If you have your turnable connected to a home stereo system, then you can use 'tape/deck' or 'aux' I/O on your (pre)amplifier to connect your AP 192 to the stereo system (! by using rec/play selectors you can then drive signal to and from AP).
If you don't get good enough signal by that way, you can also use cassette deck as a pre-amplifier. You just serial connect your C-deck and AP 192 signal paths (Amp out-->deck In, deck Out-->AP In, AP out-->Amp In). Doing this way, you can set signal level by adjusting the rec or volume out levels (on deck) !!deck has to be set to record (! rec/play selectors) when doing this. This method may decrease quality (depends on cassette deck's quality).

Of course, there were this new method too http://www.enhancedaudio.com/newway.htm you can check (mainly intended for ripping).

Analog signal has to be converted into digital mode when you handle it with computer / it's devices (which all knows only bits '1' & '0'). So it goes through ADC located from AP 192 board (and through DAC when outputted).

jiitee

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, I know about needing a phono stage, and I'm planning on getting a pro-ject phonobox to use for this purpose. I was hoping not to have to use a receiver for switching outputs, but if the AP192 does any sort of conversion, then that's a no-go (I'm wanting to use this for listening, not ripping).

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 4
All soundcards do A/D conversion on their analog inputs as practically the first step. Play through is all done digitally. Why don't you just use a switchbox? RadioShack sells them for like $15, and that HeadRoom sells a high quality switchbox with passive volume control if you're concerned about quality (though it is $160!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back