Connecting speakers to headphone AMP.
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nonamepew

New Head-Fier
I recently got an SMSL SP200 headphone AMP and right now I am using it with HD 6XX with an XLR cable. I also have an Edifier S350DB 2.1 speaker set.
Now, I know that I don't need to power the speakers using some external amp (obviously not an headphone amp) as these set of speakers are already powered. Although whenever I need to switch between headphones and speakers, I need to swap the cables from the back of my dac. My current DAC doesn't have 2 outputs to connect both and switch between them.
I was thinking about using the SP200's single ended output to connect my speakers and then use the XLR/RCA switch on the amp to switch between headphones and speakers. Now I don't know if it is safe for all the equipment involved. I am afraid of damaging the AMP or speakers.
Can anybody tell me if it is safe to do so? Will it cause any hard over time?

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't see an issue with that setup. You will have to play with the volume output a bit more due to amp being in the middle of your audio chain more often, but electrically there is difference between this and running 2 sets of headphones.

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't see an issue with that setup. You will have to play with the volume output a bit more due to amp being in the middle of your audio chain more often, but electrically there is difference between this and running 2 sets of headphones.
I am a bit more concerned about that electrical difference. I am worried about things getting damaged. I guess I will wait for my DAC to arrive and till then I will just continue to swap cables to switch devices.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I am a bit more concerned about that electrical difference. I am worried about things getting damaged. I guess I will wait for my DAC to arrive and till then I will just continue to swap cables to switch devices.
Hi Buddy,

Just wondering if you ever got this to work?
Planning on doing the same with a set of logitech speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back