Connecting Ray Samuels Hornet Portable Amp to iPod Touch 5G?
Apr 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BrianN

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have the Ray Samuels Emmaline "The Hornet" portable amp that I haven't used in years, and want to pair it with my iPod Touch 5G for my Shure 215 monitors.

Just called the number for Ray Samuels and he told me that it isn't compatible, due to the analog/digital changes that have been made. I didn't ask him whether a 3.5 to 3.5 cable would work--or is is that these two simply can't be used together at all...?

Would I have to purchase a newer digital amp to amplify my iPod Touch 5G? I'm not too knowledgeable about the technical aspects of all this, and would appreciate some clarity!

Thanks!

Brian

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Brian,

While I do not have the Hornet I have both the Protector and the Lightning and you most definitely can use an interconnect (3.5mm to 3.5mm) from the iPod Touch 5th to the Hornet then plug your SE215 to the Hornet and you are good to go.

I use a 3.5mm interconnect out of my iPod Touch 5th to my RSA Lightning to my Shure SE846.

What Ray is referring to is the change in iDevices that preclude you from using a line out connector because a lighting connector is all digital now.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks a lot for the help. That makes a lot of sense.

Are they all pretty much the same; e.g., should I head to Radio Shack and pick one up? Or, should I get a brand name like the FiiO L2 3.5/3.5 (http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L2-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B003UCC78I/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398615709&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=fioo+3.5)?

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Brian,

Either one will give you the connection you need but given a choice the Fiio is made with better wire. I never noticed a real difference until I upgraded to aftermarket OCC cables.

One important piece of advice. The RSA Hornet is an excellent amplifier let it do the work and carry the load. When you connect it to the iPod Touch turn the volume down on the iPod to about 60-75% (4 to 7 steps) and turn up the Hornet. It will open up your soundstage and provide more dynamics to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back