Connecting Prehead Amp to Integrated Amp
May 23, 2006 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gunting

New Head-Fier
I am interested in connecting a headphone amp (that has discrete tone controls) like Dr. Jan Meier's prehead, to an integrated amp. I understand that I could use the tape out connectors of the inetgrated amp if I only wanted to use the prehead as a headphone amp; but I still want to take advantage of the discrete tone controls on the prehead through the stereo system. Can I use the pre-out connectors from the prehead and connect them directly to the integrated amps CD inputs without hurting the integrated amp? I would still use the volume control on the Thule IA 350B. I would set the prehead at a very modest volume so as not to hurt the integrated amp.

May 24, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I would think that if you plug a preamp into the CD inputs of your integrated amp, then the signal would run through 2 preamps (one in the dedicated preamp, one in the integrated amp). Although this probably wouldn't damage your integrated amp, it cant be good for the sound..

preferably you should plug it into a preamp input if it has one

May 24, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the Thule IA 350B (my integrated amp) does not have a "main in" input that allows me to bypass the pre-amp section of the component. It does have a pre-out that allows me to use the internal pre-amp and bypass the amplifier section of the component. So I take it that headphone pre-amps like the Sugden and Prehead cannot be used as a pre-amp if the user has an integrated amp, separates (i.e., pre-amp and power amp), or receiver. That is a shame, as I would like to use the discete tone controls on Dr. Meier's Prehead to improve sonics on jazz CD's from the 50's and 60's.

May 24, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 4
plug it in to the cd input and see what happens. I cant imagine it breaking, so it will either sound good, or sound bad

*takes no responsibility for any breakage*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back