Connecting iPod to Car Stereo
Jul 10, 2003 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

drpje

New Head-Fier
I need advice on how to connect an iPod to my car stereo. I have a 1996 BMW 328i with the factory radio/casette and 6CD changer. I have heard that the cassette adaptor and FM transmitter do not provide the best sound. I do not have an auxilliary input in my stereo. I remember hearing that there is a company that makes an adaptor that plugs between the CD changer and head unit that allows you to connect an iPod through an auxiliiary connection. Any one have experience with this. Thanks

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 11
I have the iTrip and it is horrible. If you live near the City area, the reception becomes very bad due the crowed fm station. The only way would be the aux input. I will buy one of the JVC in dash cd/mp3 player real soon. So, can you change your font?

Purk

Nice car by the way

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 11
I just want to clarify that the iTrip is not horrible in relation to other FM transmitters. But FM transmitters as a whole are horrible. There are no good ones out yet and you should steer clear of them. A cassette adapter is decent solution with less trouble then the road you are pursuing.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 11
Hmm.. I wish I read this before deciding to buy a iTrip. Oh well, mine should be here next week. I'll see how it works.. I've gone through plenty of "empty" stations, so how bad could it be?
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
How about just a cassette adaptor? Can't be worse than the FM transmitter, surely?

But, if you're in my situation, you don't have a cassette player in your car...
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 11
All of the aux-in adapters for factory stereos I have seen tie up the CD changer input, so you'll lose the CD changer capability. That is the dilemna I'm facing now. To replace the CD changer in our car with a line in adapter, or just live with CD/cassette only. Actually I'll probably eventually replace the factory headunit with an aftermarket CD/MP3 headunit with an aux-in jack.

FWIW I've had a Pioneer FM modulated CD changer in the past as well as several FM transmitter "adapters". All had rather poor sound compared to playing a CD directly.

-Keith

Jul 14, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 11
I've listed a whole bunch of resources for AUX adapters in the thread below (page 2 of thread - I post under username "SandMan"). Some of these adapters allow you to have BOTH a CD changer and the AUX input connected at the same time - depends on your stereo.

Hopefully this will help you find an adapter so you can get the best of both worlds!

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sh...15&pagenumber=2

check this out too as it may suit your needs or at least give you an idea of what to look for:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundsds1.html

Hope this helps!

Jul 14, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 11
A cassette adaptor is definitely the best way to go if you don't have an aux input directly. The parts alone for a decent FM modulator would cost you about $50, not to mention what buying one of that quality retail would cost (cheaper to buy a stereo with an aux input). Cheap FM modulators (iTrip and all the rest) just don't have the bandwidth to deliver a decent quality signal. I've got both (for when I have to use rental cars with CD-only players), and the difference is quite striking even under the best FM conditions.
On converting an CD changer input to an aux in for your ipod -- who cares if you lose changer functionality? You're hooking up a freakin' iPod with thousands of tunes on it! Wimpy CD changer.... You will never go back and never regret its replacement.
Generally speaking, this isn't the hardest thing to mod out on your own if you know a few things about stereos and have access to some tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back