Connecting Headphones to PS5
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

yolosauce

100+ Head-Fier
It has been announced that the PS5 will not have an optical port which is an inconvenience for many headphone users. One option is to buy an hdmi to optical extractor. However I believe (and I may be wrong) that the only way to utilize sony's 3D audio is by connecting your headphone into the 3.5mm port in the ps5 controller. The problem is my headphone is the Susvara and obviously the controller will not power them. I had an idea to navigate around this issue but my limited knowledge on the subject has led me here.

-Buy a 3.5mm to rca convertor cable
-Connect 3.5mm end into ps5 controller. Connect rca end into topping a90 rca output
-Use a90 as a preamp for the ps5 controller
-Or connect rca end into the a90 rca input and use the ps5 controller as a dac (currently using xlr inputs from topping d90)

Does enabling preamp in the a90 disable the headphone output? Will I blow something up? Should I just buy a $100 sony 3d pulse headset and call it a day?

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 17
I used a fiio q5 a long time ago as a pre amp for my ps4 controller when I was on a trip home. It worked but had a rather noisy floor. Idk if that was because of the aux cable I was using or if amping a controller output was just a bad idea. I would vote to use the ps5 controller as a dac. If you're not using something super power hungry, you can plug something like a lotoo paw S1 into a open usb port(assuming the console in near you) and it should work just fine in it's game mode. That's what I currently use out of my switch or the ps4 in the living room.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 17
It has been announced that the PS5 will not have an optical port which is an inconvenience for many headphone users.
Wow! Thats a major buzzkill.

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 17
I would assume gamers can just use a USB sound card, with the PS5?

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Should I just buy a $100 sony 3d pulse headset and call it a day?
1601074235416.png

Sep 25, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Had my hopes up too much to expect a low latency LDAC codec.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 17
Never ever a Sony product for me ever since PSVita. I could use my neighbour's PS4 for a week and PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headphones like my Amiron Wireless. You've gotta be effing kidding!! The controller does have a 3.5mm audiojack but my Amiron Home was not loud enough. Really, sometimes Sony is just very consumer-unfriendly and greedy. Anyway, DAC sucks donkey turds too.

Jun 14, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 17
I posted this in the "Down the rabbit hole again | Sundara ordered" thread - but it's also appropriate here:
---

I've got a FiiO Q5 (original version) driving my Denon AH-D7000's. I got my PS5 and was disappointed that I couldn't connect it to the Q5. The PS5 wouldn't recognize the DAC via USB, which I guess is because of the UAC1 compatibility?

Anyway, I was settling with plugging the Q5 into the controller via the analog 3.5 out on the dualsense. Which always bugged me because I wasn't utilizing the DAC as anything other than just a headphone amp and I knew I wasn't getting the best sound.

So, yesterday I got a Creative BT-W3 bluetooth 5.0 transmitter. Plugged it into the PS5 and paired it with my Q5. It connected on the aptX codec and now I'm able to get sweet digital audio to the Q5 and it sounds great through the D7000s. The BT-W3 even comes with a little mic that you can plug into the dualsense for multiplayer.

tl;dr: PS5 -> Creative BT-W3 -> FiiO Q5 -> Denon AHD-7000 -> happy ears

Jun 14, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Does your monitor/TV have a headphone jack or audio out? Probably easier to route that to your headphone amp.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Does your monitor/TV have a headphone jack or audio out? Probably easier to route that to your headphone amp.

My monitor has a headphone jack, but I want the DAC to get a digital signal to process instead of just being a headphone amp. If I go analog out from the monitor, then it's either the monitor or the PS5 that's doing the digital-to-analog conversion - plus, I noticed that the headphone-out from the monitor can be a bit noisy.

Jun 22, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 17
AFAIK, the PS5 does not do 3D Audio over HDMI, only over USB or through the controller audio jack.

I have a cheap UAC1 DAC connected to the PS5, DAC connects to my E30, then L30, then headphones. I had been playing Apex for a while with the Sennheiser PC38X headset plugged in to the controller for convenience. I decided to go through my DAC(s) again to my DUNU SA6 IEMs and I immediately heard the difference. I was able to identify sounds precisely and sound didn't seem as muddy.

My 2¢

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #13 of 17
I posted this in the "Down the rabbit hole again | Sundara ordered" thread - but it's also appropriate here:
---

I've got a FiiO Q5 (original version) driving my Denon AH-D7000's. I got my PS5 and was disappointed that I couldn't connect it to the Q5. The PS5 wouldn't recognize the DAC via USB, which I guess is because of the UAC1 compatibility?

Anyway, I was settling with plugging the Q5 into the controller via the analog 3.5 out on the dualsense. Which always bugged me because I wasn't utilizing the DAC as anything other than just a headphone amp and I knew I wasn't getting the best sound.

So, yesterday I got a Creative BT-W3 bluetooth 5.0 transmitter. Plugged it into the PS5 and paired it with my Q5. It connected on the aptX codec and now I'm able to get sweet digital audio to the Q5 and it sounds great through the D7000s. The BT-W3 even comes with a little mic that you can plug into the dualsense for multiplayer.

tl;dr: PS5 -> Creative BT-W3 -> FiiO Q5 -> Denon AHD-7000 -> happy ears

How is the latency? I bought a skull & co audiostick and connected it to my Hiby R5 but it wasn't able to change the codec (default SBC) and the latency was horrible. So I ordered the BT-W3 as well, seeing how it can select codecs. How is the latency running on aptx?

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 17
How about this route?

PS5 -> TV

TV Audio Jack output -> Headphone Dac/Amp -> Headphone
OP is wanting 3D Audio, which currently does not run over HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back