connecting headphones to ps3?
Sep 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Antony6555

500+ Head-Fier
So basically I want to connect my iems to my ps3. And I believe you can connect headsets through either bluetooth or usb. I bought a usb connector (for computer) but it didn't work. So now I'm thinking bluetooth might be the way to go. But I'm hesitant because I suspect it will be substantially more costly. Anyone had any success with this issue and do you have recommendations on what to get? Cheaper=better. I'd like to spend around $10 on this, but I will spend more if needed.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 21
get a D10, use the optical out
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 21
My setup is a stereo hooked up over the RCA out, even if your ps3 is running through hdmi you can use that if you mess with the options on the ps3.

mine is as follows:
ps3>tv>RCA out>Kenwood 7G receiver>long-a** cable of my sennheiser HD205

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by notmuchcash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My setup is a stereo hooked up over the RCA out, even if your ps3 is running through hdmi you can use that if you mess with the options on the ps3.

mine is as follows:
ps3>tv>RCA out>Kenwood 7G receiver>long-a** cable of my sennheiser HD205

My tv does not have an rca out unfortunately. It's stupid, I don't know why they considered it unnecessary.

So are you saying I can connect my headphones to the ps3 through the hdmi out of the ps3? Because I don't think I can connect my headphones to my tv sadly.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 21
I am using a Compass Dac/Amp with the optical out on the PS3.

Before I was using a headphone out on my intergrated Stereo amp connected via the RCA.

Im guesing you could take RCA out, into an adapter for heaphones. It woundn't be very good though.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhanby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a Compass Dac/Amp with the optical out on the PS3.

Before I was using a headphone out on my intergrated Stereo amp connected via the RCA.

Im guesing you could take RCA out, into an adapter for heaphones. It woundn't be very good though.

wait ps3 has an rca out?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait ps3 has an rca out?

If you buy one of the special Sony cables that plug in to the odd proprietary plug on the back and has RCA plugs on the other end, yes. The cables are $10-20 depending on whether they have RCA, S-Video, or Component for the video connector.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that came packaged with the PS3? You shouldnt have to buy it seperately. Its just not on the PS3 unit itself, you need to connect the cable to get RCA out.

^ what he said.

You should have got a component cable with the ps3, should be yellow red and white. It does have a funny plug on the other end though.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 21
Maybe the cable does come with the PS3... when I got my PS3, I hooked it up immediately with an HDMI cable and would've just stuck the AV adapter cable in a drawer somewhere if one was in the box. I don't remember now, it's been a couple of years.

I'm about to build a second Gamma2 DAC to use the optical out of my PS3 for headphone purposes.

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 21
it looks like this (see attached)

And I am 100% sure every PS3 comes with one.

once it plugged in, you will need to change the sound output settings to use AV component rather than HDMI.

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhanby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like this (see attached)

And I am 100% sure every PS3 comes with one.

once it plugged in, you will need to change the sound output settings to use AV component rather than HDMI.

Nice, I found that. So all I need is an av to rca cable then?

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 21
I have a similar setup. A PS3 connected via hdmi to my 24" Dell S2409W, and then a mini to mini cable from my Dell LCD to a FIO E5 headphone amp. From the FIO e5, I either plug in headphones or my Logitech mm50 (ipod speaker) through the aux-in.

The AV Multi-Link cable does come with all PS3s. In fact, you can connect your video via HDMI, and through the AV Setup Menu, have the audio piped into the AV Multi-Link cable (rca). You then need an rca female to mini-jack male (radio shack has them), to plug into a headphone amp.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My tv does not have an rca out unfortunately. It's stupid, I don't know why they considered it unnecessary.

So are you saying I can connect my headphones to the ps3 through the hdmi out of the ps3? Because I don't think I can connect my headphones to my tv sadly.

In my earlier post I tried to convey[poorly] that the tv rca out is not necessary. just run both hdmi and the Red-White-Yellow, ignore the yellow plug, then any necessary adapter, amp, phones.

my amp takes rca[Red-white] natively, and would be a simple matter to connect to my PS3 directly.

The optical out is probably far superior to my system, but mine is 100% what was on hand at the time.

Edit: The RCA cables on the PS3 are identical to and interchangable with the ones on the PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back