Connecting Headphone Amps to Display Monitors' 3.5 mm Audio Outputs
Apr 27, 2019 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GaijinMo

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

Just hoping for some clarification in case I have been misunderstanding previous threads on this subject.

Nowadays, most LCD monitors have a 3.5 mm audio line out (for connecting powered speakers) and/or a 3.5 mm headphone jack. My questions can be summarized as the following:
  • Since the DAC is inside of the monitor, is the DAC portion of a DAC+amp combo automatically bypassed?
  • When connecting a headphone amp to the 3.5 mm headphone jack, does this mean that the analog signal is being double-amped because the headphone jack already has an amp in the monitor? Does this cause any perceptible audio problems?
  • Are there any other restrictions on connecting a headphone amp to either of these jacks that one should be aware of?
Thank you for any assistance.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Since the DAC is inside of the monitor, is the DAC portion of a DAC+amp combo automatically bypassed?
Yes. A DAC can't work with an analog input, and the connectors won't be compatible. So if you are able to connect your DAC+amp to it, that must mean it is bypassing the DAC (or potentially the DAC also has an ADC in it, probably not though).
When connecting a headphone amp to the 3.5 mm headphone jack, does this mean that the analog signal is being double-amped because the headphone jack already has an amp in the monitor? Does this cause any perceptible audio problems?
Potentially, it depends on the specific implementation of the circuit. Double amping doesn't cause any problems though, it's not automatically bad, it's just worse than if the first amp were not in the circuit. If you have the option to bypass the first amp to avoid double amping then of course you should do that as the performance should be better. Chances are you don't have that option with most monitors. It's perfectly reasonable to double amp if you need the second amp to be able to drive your headphones properly and you don't have another option for analog outputs. You can always get another DAC or use the one in your DAC+amp if you're not satisfied with the performance from the monitor's analog output.
Are there any other restrictions on connecting a headphone amp to either of these jacks that one should be aware of?
No.

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Dear all,

Just hoping for some clarification in case I have been misunderstanding previous threads on this subject.

Nowadays, most LCD monitors have a 3.5 mm audio line out (for connecting powered speakers) and/or a 3.5 mm headphone jack. My questions can be summarized as the following:
  • Since the DAC is inside of the monitor, is the DAC portion of a DAC+amp combo automatically bypassed?
  • When connecting a headphone amp to the 3.5 mm headphone jack, does this mean that the analog signal is being double-amped because the headphone jack already has an amp in the monitor? Does this cause any perceptible audio problems?
  • Are there any other restrictions on connecting a headphone amp to either of these jacks that one should be aware of?
I assume by bypassed, you mean the motherboard's on-board audio or an external DAC/amp (connected to the PC), then yes other DAC/amps are bypassed.
The Monitor's 3.5mm output jack, might be just a line-output jack, that also just pretends to be a headphone jack.
And a line-output jack is what you want to connect to an external DAC (DAC/amp) anyway.
So it could be there would be zero doubling amping.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 5

Assuming the DAC-HPamp has analogue inputs unlike the AudioGD NFB-11 and some others, yes, it's bypassed.

But if you're using a monitor I assume you have a computer, so why not just use the USB or optical output from the motherboard?

• When connecting a headphone amp to the 3.5 mm headphone jack, does this mean that the analog signal is being double-amped because the headphone jack already has an amp in the monitor?...

Yes

• ...Does this cause any perceptible audio problems?

Depends on:

1. How bad the amp circuit on the monitor is, and

2. How well you can perceive noise and distortion, ie, if you're practically tone deaf and you only need a headphone amp because you're also practically deaf, then no problem.

Actual restrictions: Nothing, in terms of breaking anything

Technical, possible restrictions: Noise and distortion, plus maybe lower voltage output on the line out, your hearing

Apr 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Dear all,

If your dac/amp has rca/ 3.5mm inputs then yes it will bypass the dac of your dac/amp. As for double amping that is a yes and no as most line outs are at 2 volts which can run a lot of headphones there are some that swear by coming straight out of the rca jacks with a adapter to their headphones and line outs of a lot of daps is just full volume of the dap into the line out jack. So as long as you manage the volume it should not be a big problem you are not going to hurt anything by doing it just have to play with the volumes so as not to get distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back