Connecting headphone amp to Apogee Duet
Feb 2, 2013 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phorte

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

After extensive searching, I haven't found a definitive answer. I have an Apogee Duet and recently bought a Schiit Asgard headphone amp to power a pair of HD600's (arriving this week).

Can I connect the Asgard to the Duet using the Duet's headphone output (and a stereo TRS>RCAx2 cable)? And if so, will the sound be any different than if I were to connect the Asgard to the Duet's main line-outs?

I'm asking this because I already have powered monitors running off the Duet's main line-outs and therefore can't use those for the Asgard but I'm worried that there is sound degradation by running out of the Duet's headphone out (be it an issue with double amping, for example, or if the headphone out runs off different converters than the main outs (guessing)).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Linh

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 5
I think the only way (and recommended) is to connect via the Line outs, you need to unplug the monitors and plug the headphone amp. The most logical solution. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Why not just use the Duet? I think the double-amping will screw it up. I have an Apogee ONE and it's a great headphone amp.

true the headphone amp in the Duet is great but the key thing is that for the HD600, it's only adequate. the Schiit Asgard amp will power it much better and allow the cans to sing.

Quote:
I think the only way (and recommended) is to connect via the Line outs, you need to unplug the monitors and plug the headphone amp. The most logical solution. 

OK thanks that's what i thought! i'll unplug for now when needed (annoying) and in the future, look at adding a Coleman Audio LS3 (passive) switcher off the main line-outs to switch between the monitors and the Asgard.

...or sell it all and just grab a Grace M903.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back