Connecting E-guitar to computer
Mar 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ephemeral

New Head-Fier
Just wondering what the cheapest and least bulky way of connecting an electric guitar to the computer is.

I understandand the guitar will have a weaker signal level.

Ive got an ESI Julia soundcard, is there any way of directly connecting it to that...?

thanks

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 5
just plug it into the input of the Juli@ using a 1/4" to 1/8" convertor

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 5
In my experience, plugging an electric guitar into a computer is not a good idea. It will most likely sound awful on your speakers. I have no idea how they sound, but I stumbled upon this at Musicians Friend.

Behringer iAXE393 USB Electric Guitar online at Musician's Friend

It's a USB electric guitar! Sounds pretty interesting to me. lol

If you really want to do this, check out this software.

AmpliTube

Why do you want to hook up your guitar to your computer? There may be a better solution to your problem.

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterheadphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why do you want to hook up your guitar to your computer? There may be a better solution to your problem.

To record the guitar going direct without using microphones perhaps?
Amplitube is a great piece of software.

You can connect straight to the soundcard, or use something like the M-Audio JamLab.

Some effects units like the Pod or the Digitech GNX range have USB connectivity, but they aren't the cheapest of solutions. I'd only consider these if you are in the market for a multi-effects unit.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Line 6 - TonePort

With one of those....comes with modelling software, asio drivers, you name it. I don't know what they are in other currencies but it cost me about 40ukp, worth every penny.

I use Adobe Audition 3 (not cheap unfortunately) for recording and it just picks it right up, in comparison Sound Forge is a nightmare.

Once connected it becomes the default sound device in XP, when you unplug the usb cable it swaps back to your sound card.

Spec off that link is :

* 18 classic and modern amp models based on POD(r)xt
* 24 speaker cabinet models based on POD(r)xt
* 5 must-have bass amp & cab models based on Bass POD(r)xt
* 29 studio and stompbox effects
* 1 Guitar, Bass and Vocal Input (adapter required for XLR source)
* Stereo 1/8" Headphone Output
* Pro Audio performance with over 100dB signal-to-noise & dynamic range
* ToneDirect monitoring unique, full tone low latency monitoring regardless of recording software's buffer size
* 44.1 & 48KHz, 16 & 24 bit recording
* 96KHz mode with built-in sample rate conversion for simultaneous input and output
* USB-powered
* Rock-solid Drivers: ASIO, WDM, Mac OS X
* Mac OS X and PC compatible!

Its $69.99 USD from Amazon and like I said about 40 ukp here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back