Connecting DAC with USB C to phone with USB micro
Apr 28, 2022 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kagif

New Head-Fier
As a new and inexperienced owner of the EarMen Sparrow, I am so far quite happy with its performance. My first major snag has been that when I plug it into my Android phone, it doesn't get a signal. The device comes with a USB C – USB C cable and a USB A – USB C cable, and it works well driven by computers and phones with a USB C output. My phone is now older (Samsung A600FN with Android 10, kernel 3.18.140) The reason this phone doesn't drive the DAC appears to be either its USB micro connection or the cable.

At first I thought EarMen doesn't supply a USB micro – USB C cable just because it's an older format. So I found and bought a 15-cm cable with those connections, plugged the Sparrow in and no joy. It doesn't light up. So then I suspected that this older phone just doesn't automatically redirect to USB; however, a bit of research shows that Android has done that since Android 6 or 7. It now seems more likely that the cable may not be compatible. I perhaps naively supposed that the ability to transfer data was the only real requirement. Here is all the relevant info the packaging offers:
  • Data and charging cable
  • High data transfer rate
  • Ultra fast charging
Found it online here, but you may need to run the Czech through an online translator:
https://www.sackyvysavace.cz/nabijeci-kabel-aligator-usb-c-microusb-15cm-cerny-30677/

Has anyone else had experience connecting a DAC or other audio device with USB C to a USB micro? Is it a bit more complicated than just finding the right cable? I think I contacted the wrong person at EarMen (sales) and will now be impatiently pestering their customer service for an answer as well.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 6
May 20, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Finally received the FiiO CL06, it does indeed solve the problem. It might be possible to find a cheaper cable out there, but this one is well built and seems it will be worth the small investment. The cost where i am was about EUR 8 (plus 4 for shipping).

At first it seemed it would not completely solve the problem, because when I plugged it in Tidal prompted whether it should control the device. I selected "okay" and then was not able to control the volume. After some reading I realized that selecting "cancel" is the right move, so that the Android volume buttons can control the volume. In theory this is not ideal, since it means the audio gets converted rather than being bit-perfect, but the Earmen Sparrow does not have volume control. For a bit-perfect solution I can try out some apps down the road; for instance USB Audio Player Pro is supposed to work with Tidal.

For now, the ER4 through the Sparrow sounds just as good from my phone as from the laptop, so for now I am quite happy!

May 20, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #6 of 6
Happy for you. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back