Connecting Audioengine A5+ Speakers to Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer and DAC/Amp Question
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jason1230

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I recently got some Audioengine A5+ Speakers and a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer but I'm not sure how to connect them up.

Currently I have a desktop with a pretty bad soundcard, and a Fiio E7+E9.

So far, I've only connected the speakers via the E7/E9's 1/8" line out to the A5's 1/8" input. But I don't know how to connect the sub to that setup.

I'm currently having a problem where the left speaker of the A5s cut out from time to time when connected to the E7/E9. I'm pretty sure that's a fault with the E7/E9 but it's out of warranty so I'd like to buy a new DAC/Amp replacement.

I'm looking to spend around £150 ($250 USD) and prefer it to be portable as I have a pair of Denon D5000 headphones that I'd like to use outside as well as at my desktop. However, I don't mind a non-portable solution if the sound quality produced is miles ahead of a mobile DAC/Amp.

I'm not sure about the Amp part as this would mean I'll be bi-amping my powered speakers?? But I also need it for my headphones...

I would also like to know what cables I need and how to connect your recommended DAC/Amp to my speakers and sub as I'm a real noob at this :p

If it helps:
The A5 Speakers have a 1/8" Input, RCA Input and RCA output;
The Wharfedale SW150 Sub has Line Level RCA Inputs and Outputs
And my soon to be replaced Fiio E7/E9 DAC/Amp has a 1/8" Line In and Line Out, 1/4" and 1/8" Headphone Out, and RCA Line Out. Oh and it's connected to my computer with a USB.

Thanks for your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 6
DAC (soundcard)

Desktop solutions that will sound better then your currents setup

Audinst HUD-MX1
Yulong U100

A portable alternative is the Fiio E17 which is clear upgrade from your current E7.

Connecting
You can refer to your subwoofer manual for how to connect your speakers to your subwoofer.

But from the connections you listed i assume this should work.

From the DAC you run RCA to your subwoofers RCA line in, and from the subwoofer you use the RCA line level outputs to your Speakers RCA in.

DAC->SUB->Speakers 

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd look more into the issue with your A5+ speaker cutting in/out.  Do you have any other speakers you can test your Fiio out on to confirm that it is the DAC that is affected?  Hop over to a friends house and plug them into their computer speakers and test it out to see if it is indeed the Fiio. Also check the speaker wire connected between the speakers that +/- are inserted correctly.

If not, you might need to give Audioengine customer support a call.

As for the DAC/amp, have you looked at the Audioengine D1? I spent a month with it with my older A5 speakers and they pair together nicely.  The bass improvement was quite noticeable ... which isn't going to be that important in your case with your Wharfedale. But it is a nice sounding DAC, portable, has the headphone amp for your Denons and works with-in your budget.  You could even take the leftover money and put it towards some upgraded cables or speaker wire .. or save it.

To connect everything just take a RCA cable from your A5+ outputs (the set of RCA's on the bottom) to your subwoofers RCA inputs. Keep the phase switch at 0 and for the crossover level, this is ultimately up to you to experiment with, but try it at 60hz, as the A5+ say they can play down to 50hz.  Experiment with what sounds best to your ears though. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I'd look more into the issue with your A5+ speaker cutting in/out.  Do you have any other speakers you can test your Fiio out on to confirm that it is the DAC that is affected?  Hop over to a friends house and plug them into their computer speakers and test it out to see if it is indeed the Fiio. Also check the speaker wire connected between the speakers that +/- are inserted correctly.

If not, you might need to give Audioengine customer support a call.

As for the DAC/amp, have you looked at the Audioengine D1? I spent a month with it with my older A5 speakers and they pair together nicely.  The bass improvement was quite noticeable ... which isn't going to be that important in your case with your Wharfedale. But it is a nice sounding DAC, portable, has the headphone amp for your Denons and works with-in your budget.  You could even take the leftover money and put it towards some upgraded cables or speaker wire .. or save it.

To connect everything just take a RCA cable from your A5+ outputs (the set of RCA's on the bottom) to your subwoofers RCA inputs. Keep the phase switch at 0 and for the crossover level, this is ultimately up to you to experiment with, but try it at 60hz, as the A5+ say they can play down to 50hz.  Experiment with what sounds best to your ears though. 

I tested my spare pair of speakers with the Fiio and again the left channel cuts out. Also when I connect the A5's directly to my PC's soundcard, there's no problem. So I think there's enough evidence to suggest there's a fault with my DAC/Amp.

Thanks for the Audioengine D1 suggestion. I just ordered one from Amazon to try out, if it helps then great!! If not then I can always return it
biggrin.gif
I'm going to move back to university in a few weeks so I won't be with my sub for a few months, so that comment about bass improvement is a nice positive. Since the speakers and the DAC are from Audioengine then chances are they are going to sound well together right?? :)

I tried the connections you suggested and tried to connect the A5's RCA Input to my Fiio's RCA Line Out so the connection is like DAC->Speakers->Subwoofer. But only the speakers work with that setup. Nothing comes out of the sub.

Quote:
DAC (soundcard)

Desktop solutions that will sound better then your currents setup

Audinst HUD-MX1
Yulong U100

A portable alternative is the Fiio E17 which is clear upgrade from your current E7.

Connecting
You can refer to your subwoofer manual for how to connect your speakers to your subwoofer.

But from the connections you listed i assume this should work.

From the DAC you run RCA to your subwoofers RCA line in, and from the subwoofer you use the RCA line level outputs to your Speakers RCA in.

DAC->SUB->Speakers 

I tried your connection and it works alright thanks for that!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been thinking of getting the new updated Fiio E09k and E17 so I can use the E17 when I'm outside. Is that a suitable replacement?

But I'm afraid I'll experience the same problem I had with my E7/E9, so for now I'll test the Audioengine D1 and see how things go.

Thanks for your replies guys!! You've been really helpful
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Well give the D1 a try, the E17 is quite a upgrade from the original E7 so if you need a portable setup i would definitely take the e9/E17 combo over the Audioengines D1.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 6
DAC to speakers 1/8" input
coax/subwoofer cable from the white RCA input to the line in of the sub

That's how mine is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back