Connecting amp to audigy 2 zs
Feb 25, 2005 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fustercluck

New Head-Fier
Greetings - Sorry if my english is bad...

I bought an amp 4 days ago, it hasn't got to me yet, but i realized i don't know for sure how to connect it to my Audigy 2 ZS. The amp has 1/4 output and 1/8 input i believe. Just tell me what i need so i can go get it at radio shack or whatever, thank you.

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
Depends on your amps inputs, but you'll need either a a Mini to Mini cable (a straight cable with a mini plug on each end) or a Mini to RCA cable (sometimes refered to as a Y-cable).

Feb 25, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 11
The audigy 2 ZS has many different outputs (I am assuming you only got the audigy card and not the 5.25" drive output). Make sure your not going to connect the digital out (the top RCA connector) from the card to your amp. Mostlikely you will need a mini to mini with a mini to 1/4" adapter connecting the cable to your amp.

Don't forget, you will probably need to change your PC settings to output only 2 speaker audio output.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 11
mini to mini with a mini and a 1/4 adapter? This is getting confusing.

To connect my headphones to my audigy 2 zs i have to use a 1/8 headphone jack adapter, so the ZS uses 1/8 ports...or whatever.

So would just a mini to mini cable to the trick?

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Okay, sorry for not explaining. A mini corresponds to the connector attached to the cable, in this case it would mean an 1/8" stereo connector. Now stereo corresponds to having two signals sent along the a cable whereas an 1/8" mono connector will only send one signal along the cable, thus you can listen to Left and Right audio channels from one cable.

So a mini to mini cable is one in which you have an 1/8" male to an 1/8" male stereo connector. Male in the sense that you have something sticking out whereas female is that you will have something stuck into it.

Now the reason why you need a mini to 1/4" adapter (which is an 1/8" female to a 1/4" male adapter) is because most cables don't come in the form of 1/8" male to 1/4" male (not that they don't have any cables of that form, its just that it will be unlikely for you to find this type of cable in your local store). Thus, this adapter will convert your mini to mini cable to a mini to a 1/4" cable. This 1/4" male terminates at your amp (which is what you said your amplifier input size is).

Hope I've clarified your problem and not made it more complicated.

Grasshpr

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Would this give him the best sound quality? or Audigy 2 zs (digital out)--->receiver---->amp---headphone?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Depends on your amps inputs, but you'll need either a a Mini to Mini cable (a straight cable with a mini plug on each end) or a Mini to RCA cable (sometimes refered to as a Y-cable).

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Its probably better to have the audigy 2ZS output using digital out (preferrably with a decent digital out cable either RCA or optical) to a good receiver or a DAC, then to an amp.

But for most people, its probably good enough to use the analog out from the audigy 2 ZS.

Mainly it dependent on your wallet size
eggosmile.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Hrm, well it is really confusing, but i guess that's just the way it is. Seems like a mini to mini would do the trick, i'm still not quite sure why i can't do that. I'll probably just wait till i get the amp to figure it out. So if i'm not going to buy a mini to mini cable what am i going to buy? Would they have what i need at circuit city?

Maybe you misread the first part, grass, i'm probably wrong though. It has a 1/8 input, not a 1/4 input.

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 11
OK, so let me try to help you sort out what's been said in this thread.

You say you've got an 1/8" input...so you should be OK with a mini to mini cable. However, I think grasshpr is under the impression that your amp's got a 1/4" input, because I think that's what a lot of amps have. If your amp ends up having a 1/4" input, you'll need the mini to 1/4" adapter...you may even have one already - I know I've got like 3 of them around here somewhere.

The 1/8"-1/4" adapter is like a <$1 part...so if you're not sure you need it, you might as well get it, cause someday you might need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back