Connecting a TV to an old Pioneer SX-3500 Receiver.
Oct 28, 2020 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nuraman00

100+ Head-Fier
I'm asking this on behalf of someone. They have a Sony X900F TV.

Could they use headphone out on the TV, to one of the RCA inputs on the Pioneer receiver, to use the home theater speakers?

This TV is only used for internal apps within the TV.

And if this setup was used, then would it have the flexibility of using TV speakers if the receiver was off, or using the home theater speakers if the receiver was on?

This receiver is an audio receiver only, doesn't handle video.

It doesn't take digital inputs either, so it can't take optical out from the TV, nor HDMI via ARC.

Also, this person also has wireless headphones with the transmitter connected to the TV via the headphone out.

Would those now have to be plugged into the headphone out of the receiver? And again, would it have the flexibility of picking up sound from the TV if the receiver is off, or picking up sound from the receiver if it is on?

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Just need a DAC with an optical input.
TV > optical cable > DAC > analog cable > RCA inputs.
Set TV to 2-channel, not any surround sound or Dolby/DTS.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Just need a DAC with an optical input.
TV > optical cable > DAC > analog cable > RCA inputs.
Set TV to 2-channel, not any surround sound or Dolby/DTS.

Thanks.

So using headphone out of the TV, to the Pioneer RCA receiver inputs, isn't a clean solution then. What this would do is force to use the home theater speakers. As even if the receiver was off, the TV speakers could not be used. Correct?

Instead, if I use your suggested setup with a DAC, and connect that to the receiver, then if the receiver was off, the TV speakers would be used. If the receiver was on, then the audio would go out through the optical cable, to the DAC, to the receiver, and then the home theater speakers could be used. Correct?

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks.
So using headphone out of the TV, to the Pioneer RCA receiver inputs, isn't a clean solution then. What this would do is force to use the home theater speakers. As even if the receiver was off, the TV speakers could not be used. Correct?
Instead, if I use your suggested setup with a DAC, and connect that to the receiver, then if the receiver was off, the TV speakers would be used. If the receiver was on, then the audio would go out through the optical cable, to the DAC, to the receiver, and then the home theater speakers could be used. Correct?
I have not read the manual to your TV, but I'm assuming your TV's controls can be set to where it outputs the audio, to TV speaker or optical output.
So when not sending audio to the receiver, the TV's built in speaker could be used.
The TV's headphone jack might work decently, but the optical connection would be preferred.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 5
I have not read the manual to your TV, but I'm assuming your TV's controls can be set to where it outputs the audio, to TV speaker or optical output.
So when not sending audio to the receiver, the TV's built in speaker could be used.
The TV's headphone jack might work decently, but the optical connection would be preferred.

Thanks. I will look for that setting if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back