connecting a phone to a power amp
Nov 4, 2008 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Since I sold all my dedicated headphone amps, I would like to listen to the Squeezebox via the Grado SR80.
I would like to connect my portable amp to the Squeezebox, so I can still enjoy
some headphone listening experience with the useful SB remote.
I would connect the Corda Move->Grado SR80 to the Stello dac via (Cardas analog) mini-to-dual rca cable.

I also hope to achieve "better" sound with Squeezebox->Stello dac->Grado SR80 connection then with the iMod->Corda Move->SR80 connection.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 13
I believe it will be better to skip the RWA Signature 30.2, so it becomes: Squeezebox->Stello dac->Signature 30.2->Corda Move->SR80

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 13
Too bad, the Stello dac's analog output are already occupied for the RWA Signature 30.2. This means, I should probably use the RWA Signature analog (balanced) outputs to connect the Corda Move to it. Before I can listen to the Grado Sr80, I should disconnect the speaker connections on the Rwa Signature.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Why not use a simple RCA splitter between the Stello DAC and the Signature?
I know its not ideal, but then you don't have to unplug something every time you want to switch outputs.

Code:

Code:
[left] |-> Signature 30.2 -> ACI Emerald Squeezebox -> Stello dac-| |-> Corda Move -> SR80[/left]

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 13
I believe I won't connect the Move amp often to the Stello dac.
I have a rca splitter but I believe by using it with the Cardas Neutral Reference IC's, it would cause less good sound. Vinnie Rossie told me to not use rca splitters...
Maybe I should order XLR-to-rca adapters, the Stello dac still has free analog balanced XLR outputs.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 13
The rca splitters are ordered from Meier Audio, so
I believe they are quite descent.
Meier-Audio.
But they aren't gold plated like the rca outs/ins of the Signature.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 13
How about the Antique Sound Lab UHC Signature then?
A transformer box allowing you to drive the Grado SR80 from the Signature 30.2.

aqluhcsignature.jpg

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 13
This is an awesome sollution! I still won't be able to skip the use of rca splitters because the subwoofer is connected to the Signature via it's balanced rca outputs. The most important thing is that I don't have to use rca splitters on the Signature's rca inputs - it's there that I use the Cardas Natural Reference.

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 13
I might be able to ignore the rca splitters and use the 10 m IC's that connect the subwoofer to the Signature for the Antique Sound Lab UHC Signature. But maybe 10 meter is just too much? Although it's a Van den Hul The BAY C5 HYBRID IC.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 13
The ACI subwoofer has "line level high-output rca's". I don't suppose they can be used for connection to the Antique Sound Lab UHC Signature inputs? So I won't have to use rca splitters on the Signature rca outputs.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 13
The Antique Sound Lab UHC Signature hook out to speaker level, and not line level signal. So its not possible...

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 13
The British company QED made a clever device to interface headphones with the speaker outs of a power amp. I had one, and found that my Yamaha M-35 and this devise (whose name I don't recall) made an EXCELLENT headphone amp. I sold the QED unit to someone on Head-Fi.

Laz

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 13
^ Yeah, I am sure there are other transformer units out there. Similar to the UHC Signature mentioned by me, and the QED mentioned by you.

I think that its worth checking those out for driving regular dynamic headphones with the Signature 30.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back