Connecting a PC to a Receiver
Dec 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MagnaCumLaude

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,
I was wondering how one would go about connecting a PC to a Receiver.   My laptop has an HDMI port and a SP DIF port and the receiver has these inputs. http://usa.denon.com/Assets/Images/Products/AVR-1513/c26-B007R8U5VM-2-l.jpg

Will either of these work?  I would prefer just using an HDMI cable to connect but I don't have a clue.  

Also, which would produce the best sound quality.  

Thanks Ladies and Gents, MCL

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I was wondering how one would go about connecting a PC to a Receiver.   My laptop has an HDMI port and a SP DIF port and the receiver has these inputs. http://usa.denon.com/Assets/Images/Products/AVR-1513/c26-B007R8U5VM-2-l.jpg
Will either of these work?  I would prefer just using an HDMI cable to connect but I don't have a clue.  
Also, which would produce the best sound quality.  

I'm assuming this connection is for speakers, not headphones?
If your laptops audio features do not include DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-connect. your S/PDIF can only do 2-channel audio.
DDL & DTS-connect would allow you to sent 6-channels (5.1) of compress (24-bit/46Khz) audio thru the S/PDIF connection.

For just 2-channel audio (like music), I do not think you would hear any difference between S/PDIF and HDMI.
For surround sound for gaming and movies, the HDMI is better, HDMI can carry up to 8-channels (7.1) of uncompressed (24-bit/192Khz) audio
So just run HDMI from the laptop's HDMI output to any of the Denon's HDMI inputs, then I'm assuming your running HDMI from the Denon to a monitor/TV.
Then make sure your laptop's is set for HDMI audio output in the windows control panel > in the "sound" section > in the playback tap.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for you help, 

My father just gave me his old JBL speakers and a receiver!  I was really shocked that he let me use them.   To connect to the receiver I used my headphone jack (under the front speaker setting) to a RCA cable in the back of the receiver.  I also used my second headphone jack to output sound to a headphone amp and then headphones.  This setup is awesome!   Again, thank you for your help I have learned a lot through this website.  

MCL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back