1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Connecting a PC to a Receiver

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by magnacumlaude, Dec 29, 2012.
  1. MagnaCumLaude
    Hello Head-Fi,
    I was wondering how one would go about connecting a PC to a Receiver.   My laptop has an HDMI port and a SP DIF port and the receiver has these inputs. http://usa.denon.com/Assets/Images/Products/AVR-1513/c26-B007R8U5VM-2-l.jpg

Will either of these work?  I would prefer just using an HDMI cable to connect but I don't have a clue.  

Also, which would produce the best sound quality.  

Thanks Ladies and Gents, MCL

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Quote:
    I'm assuming this connection is for speakers, not headphones?
    If your laptops audio features do not include DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-connect. your S/PDIF can only do 2-channel audio.
    DDL & DTS-connect would allow you to sent 6-channels (5.1) of compress (24-bit/46Khz) audio thru the S/PDIF connection.

For just 2-channel audio (like music), I do not think you would hear any difference between S/PDIF and HDMI.
    For surround sound for gaming and movies, the HDMI is better, HDMI can carry up to 8-channels (7.1) of uncompressed (24-bit/192Khz) audio
    So just run HDMI from the laptop's HDMI output to any of the Denon's HDMI inputs, then I'm assuming your running HDMI from the Denon to a monitor/TV.
    Then make sure your laptop's is set for HDMI audio output in the windows control panel > in the "sound" section > in the playback tap.

3. MagnaCumLaude
    Thanks for you help, 

My father just gave me his old JBL speakers and a receiver!  I was really shocked that he let me use them.   To connect to the receiver I used my headphone jack (under the front speaker setting) to a RCA cable in the back of the receiver.  I also used my second headphone jack to output sound to a headphone amp and then headphones.  This setup is awesome!   Again, thank you for your help I have learned a lot through this website.  

MCL