Connecting a headphone amp to a speaker amp?
Apr 14, 2007 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
This may be a stupid question... but is it possible? Basically, I want to get a speaker amp to more or less function as a system selector, since they seem to generally have a ton of inputs. I would like to get some speakers as well, but most listening is done through headphones.

In particular, I have been eyeing the NAD C352. It has a pre-out, will that work as a passive output for a headphone amp? If not, are there any speaker amps that allow for such a thing? Or would I be better off trying to find a reciever?

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In particular, I have been eyeing the NAD C352. It has a pre-out, will that work as a passive output for a headphone amp?

Anything with tape-out jacks will work out fine. I don't know if the C352 has a set of those but I'm sure it does, like do most decent amps.

Cheers!

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get some speakers as well, but most listening is done through headphones.

Personally, I would buy a kick-@ss headphone amplifier that had pre-amp capabilities, and buy a cheaper amp to drive the speakers. You do not want to run a headphone amplifier through a receiver's, or integrated amplifier's circuitry.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would buy a kick-@ss headphone amplifier that had pre-amp capabilities, and buy a cheaper amp to drive the speakers. You do not want to run a headphone amplifier through a receiver's, or integrated amplifier's circuitry.

Running a signal through a speaker amp's tape-out theoretically means it does not through the amp's circuits (a direct bypass). I used to run my setup this way and I can never hear any supposed signal degradation.

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running a signal through a speaker amp's pre-out theoretically means it does not through the amp's circuits (a direct bypass). I used to run my setup this way and I can never hear any supposed signal degradation.

Surely that's not true, if it's the pre-out, then that signal is designed to go to a power amp, and as such it goes through the pre-amp stages of the intergrated.

What you mean is the "line-out" or "tape-out" is a direct pass through. Surely?

The test is whether you had to have the integrated amp on when you were using the loop out. If the loop relies on the amplification circuitry, then the amp will need ot be on. If not, then it can sit off.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely that's not true, if it's the pre-out, then that signal is designed to go to a power amp, and as such it goes through the pre-amp stages of the intergrated.

What you mean is the "line-out" or "tape-out" is a direct pass through. Surely?

The test is whether you had to have the integrated amp on when you were using the loop out. If the loop relies on the amplification circuitry, then the amp will need ot be on. If not, then it can sit off.

Ahh sorry, I had tape-out in mind (but inexplicably typed pre-out). I'll edit my previous posts.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh sorry, I had tape-out in mind (but inexplicably typed pre-out). I'll edit my previous posts.

I know the problem. I was trying to talk about valves with my Dad the other day, and always managed to say "input" when I meant "output" and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back