Connecting a EMU 0404 to a amp???
May 7, 2006 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm thinking about getting a EMU 0404, but what sort of cables would I need to connect the EMU to an amp? Would I just use regular RCA-RCA cables, or is it something different?
confused.gif
Sorry for asking, what must seem to be a very stupid question. Also, what are breakout cables, such as the one in the Mall-fi ad? http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175549
Are there any other places to get breakout cables? Thank you so much for your response. Anything is helpful!

May 7, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 5
You need a 1/4" TS (Mono) connector to RCA cable or equivalent sequence of adapters.

If your receiver has a digital input then you can of course use the S/PDIF optical or coaxial connections.

If you don't need all the connections on the analog out dongle, then you could buy a custom breakout cable. This will replace the stock dongle with the appropriate analog outs (and customize their lengths). With many though you lose the analog ins, I don't know if that matters to you. Some people claim a perceived increase in audio quality using a custom breakout cable.

May 7, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy
You need a 1/4" TS (Mono) connector to RCA cable or equivalent sequence of adapters.

If your receiver has a digital input then you can of course use the S/PDIF optical or coaxial connections.

If you don't need all the connections on the analog out dongle, then you could buy a custom breakout cable. This will replace the stock dongle with the appropriate analog outs (and customize their lengths). With many though you lose the analog ins, I don't know if that matters to you. Some people claim a perceived increase in audio quality using a custom breakout cable.

Thanks for your reply, I really apriecate that. So, I would either need a 1/4"-RCA cable. Or, if I got the custom breakout cable, that would work too? I do not need the analog in's, or anything else. I would only be using the soundcard to connect to the amp. Does anyone know anywhere else that sells custom breakout cables? And lastly, do you think it is worth it too get a custom breakout cable? Thanks so much!

May 7, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 5
the 1/4 - RCA cables are easy to get in town usually - "Guitar Center" not expensive. (oh, you need 2, these cables are only for one channel each)

Custom 0404 breakout boxes - check on Headphile in the above Sponsor list, and there is at least one in the "MallFi" section with a custom build by one of the custom cable makers.

May 7, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
the 1/4 - RCA cables are easy to get in town usually - "Guitar Center" not expensive. (oh, you need 2, these cables are only for one channel each)

Custom 0404 breakout boxes - check on Headphile in the above Sponsor list, and there is at least one in the "MallFi" section with a custom build by one of the custom cable makers.

For the Custom breakout cables, would I also need two? I can see on Headphiles website, that a 1/4" to RCA is $40, so multiplying that by two is $80. If I only need one breakout cable, that would actually be cheaper, right? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back