Connecting a dac/amp with a subwoofer and speakers.
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FeiJai

New Head-Fier
Hi, I will be purchasing a dac/amp, bookshelf or studio speakers, and a subwoofer over the holiday. However, I do not know how to connect them at all. I want to connect all with RCA but don't now how to connect and if I need additional cables (Y cable?). Sub - Line In RCA, Dac - Dac Out RCA, Speaker - Line Out RCA. Thanks.

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW111

Dac/Amp: Audio-GD NFB-12

Speaker: Have not chosen one but will use KRK rockit as example

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 7
USB > DAC >

Would these options work? If they do, do I go with:
Option 1 - connect Dac and speakers to Subwoofer
Option 2 - connect speakers and subwoofer to dac
Option 3 - connect dac and subwoofer to speakers

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Any dac/amp unit is not designed to do what you're looking for. If you get powered speakers, the easiest way would be to get a receiver with pre-outs (any cheap 5.1 receiver will do). Then use the dac's outputs via rca to the receiver's inputs, then the receiver's left/right front channel pre-outs via rca to the speakers, and the sub out directly to the sub via rca y cable. Even if you don't get powered speakers, adding the receiver would still be the best option. That dac has a fixed line level output meaning you cannot control volume if you're not using the headphone output. The receiver will act as a pre and you will be able to control volume through the receiver.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 7
Unless he buys a dac that can be used as a pre-amp.

Why not passive speakers? Integrated amp?

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 7
if your using your dac only with your computer, or if the dac has a volume control that effects the line outs, you could just use a crossover after the dac.

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Originally, I was going to get the Asus Essence STX soundcard for headphone and speakers/subwoofer but people recommended a dac/amp instead. Would it be easier to connect 2.1 speakers/subwoofer to the soundcard?

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 7
You can buy a preamp that has two sets of output. So you connect 1 output to the speakers and the other to the subwoofer. You don't need an external crossover. Your speaker  has an attenuator switch to adjust the level and your subwoofer has a low pass filter and a volume control also to adjust the level. These will enable you to tailor the sound to your liking.

One other thing, if Audio-gd can put two sets of output as an option, you don't even need a preamp. The DAC that you are buying already has a volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back