Connecting 2 Subs to Accuphase e-213 Integrated Amp Receiver
May 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JustinBM

New Head-Fier
May 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd stay away from the pro gear subs since they tend to be very inaccurate when it comes to articulate deep bass (for recorded music playback). The pro gear subs are really meant for "live" use in a PA system where SPL rather then accuracy or deep bass extension is the most desirable atribute. Those CV's will pout out a hellacious amount of thump but they would be embarased by a quality purpose audio sub IMO.  If you note the freq response of the CV's they are rated at 39hz which is roughly a full octave above where you want the sub to actually be reproducing bass (for music playback) from 20hz (or lower) to around 60-80hz ...the lower the xover point the better the blend to your main l/r speakers...ideally speaking 60hz and lower is hard to locate where the deep bass is coming from. Anyway rather than the 2 CV's you might want to get yourself a pair of sealed 12 inch subs optimized for 22 hz low freq extension. Anywhere around 300-500 W RMS is a good start for a plate amp...make sure it's a capable well built plate amp with active EQ capability (for allowing more precise tuning) and a avariable phase pot (1-180 degrees) or a simple phase switch.

I've had good results using the Dayton Titanic series sub kits (2 x 12 inch with 504W RMS plate amps). They are tight no nonsense fair priced overachievers IMO....sure I'd love to have a JL Fathom or a ML sub...maybe even a set of REL subs in the future but for now the Dayton Titanic III subs are a killer option.

You can easily hook these up using the rec output jacks of your receiver ...the front panel selector for the rec outs is how you send the signal to your L/R subs. It's an easy elegant way to add subs without having to run your amp outputs (speakers cables) through the subs less than desirable speakers inputs and and pass through to the main L/R speakers. The rec outs of the Accuphase means you can use RCA cables (1 for each sub) and 1 set of speaker cables from the receiver to your main speakers.

May 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 11
To test it I plugged a pair of 60 dollar Bose Companion speakers to see if it would work and sure enough the Bose l/r were mirroring my Dynaudio speakers. If I were to plug subs into the Rec jacks would the receiver output the bass to the subs or would it attempt to send the full signal to the subs as it was with the Bose speakers? Also don't most Subs have two RCA jacks to connect them not one? Wouldn't I have to route one of the subs through the other?

I can spend about $1000 per sub. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all your help!

May 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
To test it I plugged a pair of 60 dollar Bose Companion speakers to see if it would work and sure enough the Bose l/r were mirroring my Dynaudio speakers. If I were to plug subs into the Rec jacks would the receiver output the bass to the subs or would it attempt to send the full signal to the subs as it was with the Bose speakers? Also don't most Subs have two RCA jacks to connect them not one? Wouldn't I have to route one of the subs through the other?

I can spend about $1000 per sub. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all your help!

It will send the full signal. One more thing, the E-213 is not a receiver, it's just an integrated amp. If you're willing to spend that much on just subs why not just sell your Dyn's and get speakers that have the low end that you're looking for? Integrating subs with other speakers is very difficult and seldom worth the effort IMO.

May 16, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Well I would rather just purchase some subs. What would I need to buy to be able to connect two subs to my system?

The easiest way would be to get a receiver with sub output if you want to go that route. But I don't think you're going to find a receiver that can sound as good as that Accuphase integrated amp. The hardest part about integrating separate subs is adjusting the position and crossover so that it blends with the speakers. It's easier said then done IMO. I never could get it right when I was trying it. I may have had some good low end output but it never matched with the speakers and the sub always stood out. So I ditched the idea altogether and bought speakers that offered what I was looking for. If you're not worried about blending the sound with your speakers then subs are for you.

May 16, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 11
what if i was to plug the subs into my other two speaker wire outputs? would my accuphase be able to power two passive subs or even one passive sub? if i did this would i be able to make it so my accuphase didn't send the full signal just the lows to the subs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back