Connect wired 3.5mm microphone to a Bluetooth device that has a built in mic?
Jan 12, 2024 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cloneman

New Head-Fier
One of the best cheap ways to get music in your car is to use the 3.5mm output of a bluetooth receiver dongle. Something like this, for example https://www.aptx.com/products/ugreen-bluetooth-receiver-audio-adapter

This has the advantage of you not being tied your car's terrible bluetooth software, which means lower latency and better codecs.

Here's the problem: all of these devices have a "builtin" mic which not only probably sucks but will be tucked away far from your face when installed. (no, i'm not going to tape a bluetooth dongle to my face and run extension cables)

There seems to be almost no one making these bluetooth receivers with some kind of mic input (besides maybe fiio btr3k and this unfinished product, which I had an issue with going to sleep all the time and missing the first 1.5 seconds of audio from google maps)

I was wondering if I could just crack open an bluetooth receiver that has a built in mic and solder a 3.5mm mic cable to it?

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 2
Easy enough to hack.
I would experiment with something like this:

https://www.londondrugs.com/helix-b...e-portableaudio-headphones-wirelessheadphones

Hack off the buds and put a 3.5mm jack for output, and make a separate jack for the microphone input. If you buy a cheap enough BT receiver (careful, sometimes they're mono), they're dumb enough that they'll stay on and only turn off if the transmitter turns off and not have weird issues like going on 'low power mode' and messing around with audio issues like start/stops and quiet/no/low volume fade outs.

Paradoxically, it's the fancy receivers which have more problems.

If you're lucky, you'll find a mic that is wired onto the board and not a SMD.

Something like this would also make a good Motorcycle bluetooth setup.

So you might as well look into bluetooth headsets for motorcycles. They already have a stock 3.5mm in/out for mic, earphones/speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back