Connect speakers to my amp/dac
Jan 22, 2017 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Antilochos

New Head-Fier
I use a Fostex HP-A3 amp/dac for my headphones and it works good.

But I want to connect some speakers to the HP-A3 at the same time (since it has the button to switch between source). Have not yet choose a pair of speakers, since I'm a idiot when it comes to these things; I don't know how to connect the speakers to the device. It has a analog out option.

Wich cable would you recommend to use and what kind of speakers can I connect (since it's just a usb powered amp)?

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 10
You need a pair of active speakers which have the speaker amp built in, or passive speakers plus a speaker amp. I would suggest active.

The output on your HP-A3 is RCA but you can get adapters or cables to convert from RCA to most connections you might find, so you don't need to be concerned about what connections the speakers have. Choose some speakers you like first and then ask again what cables you need for them.

Do you have a budget in mind for the speakers? Any other constraints such as limited space? I have JBL LSR305 and I'm happy with them.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 10

But I want to connect some speakers to the HP-A3 at the same time (since it has the button to switch between source). Have not yet choose a pair of speakers, since I'm a idiot when it comes to these things; I don't know how to connect the speakers to the device. It has a analog out option.

Which cable would you recommend to use and what kind of speakers can I connect (since it's just a usb powered amp)?

Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605500

This $7 cable will connect the HP-A3 to the studio monitors.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR201

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for reply.

I had two different speakersets already selected; I prefered passive speakers so that is my first choice but don't know if they would work with the Fostex amp, so looked also for a set of active as backup plan:
- Teufel Ultima 20 MK2 (passive), being € 149,- in discount (not much difference at moment between Euro and Dollar)
- Edifier Studio R1280T (active), being € 94,-

The Teufel might be a bit to big (although it's still a small Bookshelf speaker), it has very good sound, decent discount now and just looks lovely.
Must admit I like the JBL's you mentioned also, but they don't have any protection in front?

Could the Fostex function as a speaker amp (being a usb headphone amp) push those passive speakers?
If not, the active Edifier have their own amp. It doesn't get messed up when connected on the Fostex?

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 10
  The Monoprice speakers look good, but seems like they are harder to get in Europe. Prefer to order from some certain websites.

Did not know your in Europe, which country?

You might consider to also posting your audio equipement questions on the website AVforum, it's based out of the UK.
AVforum might be able to point out the best priced deals in Europe.
Check out the Internet seller Thomann

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for reply.

I had two different speakersets already selected; I prefered passive speakers so that is my first choice but don't know if they would work with the Fostex amp, so looked also for a set of active as backup plan:
- Teufel Ultima 20 MK2 (passive), being € 149,- in discount (not much difference at moment between Euro and Dollar)
- Edifier Studio R1280T (active), being € 94,-

The Teufel might be a bit to big (although it's still a small Bookshelf speaker), it has very good sound, decent discount now and just looks lovely.
Must admit I like the JBL's you mentioned also, but they don't have any protection in front?

Could the Fostex function as a speaker amp (being a usb headphone amp) push those passive speakers?
If not, the active Edifier have their own amp. It doesn't get messed up when connected on the Fostex?

The fostex headphone amp will not be able to power the passive speakers, because headphones and speakers require different amounts of power to drive them. Although speakers generally have very low impedance compared to headphones, they require a lot more wattage, because the drivers themselves are much larger. Speakers usually need from 10 to 40 watts to push them effectively, but a headphone amp being able to push more than 2 watts is quite rare.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 10

Wich cable would you recommend to use and what kind of speakers can I connect (since it's just a usb powered amp)?

First off, "source" refers to what is sending a signal into the HP-A3, which in this case is the switch that chooses between USB and Optical inputs. The other switch - for headphone or RCA - is for the output. The first chooses what signal goes into the HP-A3, the latter chooses how the signal goes out of the HP-A3.

Second, check what the RCA output does - is it a fixed output from the DAC stage or can you control the output level (volume) using the volume knob? If you can control the output level then you can use active speakers like the HiVi M200B or KRK Rokit 6, as it will put the volume knob closer to your hand (and in the case of the Rokit and studio monitors, a single knob as opposed to one gain knob behind each speaker).

If it's a fixed level output from the Fostex DAC stage you're better off getting an integrated amplifier and passive speakers. Something like the Dayton B652-AIR and a Topping T-amp (you can get these for under $200). Alternately you can put a passive preamp like the Schiit Sys here and connect active speakers as the Sys will put the volume control within easy reach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back