Connect PC to amp - 5 meters away
Jul 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

poo

1000+ Head-Fier
In the process of purchasing an Emu 1212m to setup a computer as source arrangement. My PC is not in the same room (sort of just around the corner about 5 or 6 meters away).

I am trying to figure out the best way to connect the PC and amp via soundcard. I think my options are quite limited - but thought I would look for suggestions... Would rather not use a separate DAC at this stage.

Jul 18, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 11
What's the problem? For a high quality cable these 5-6 meters shouldn't be a problem. OK, maybe if there are doors in between, which need to be closed.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 11
Doors? sort of... but I can get around that. Personally I am not a believer in the 'buy an expensive cable' game (not that you have suggested that). Don't get me wrong - a well made & well shielded cable is important, but a high price does not a quality cable make.

So, that said - any advise on a suitable cable for the job?

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Check out Monoprice--it's a great source for good quality, but CHEAP, cables.

EDIT--
Maybe this 25ft. RCA cable and this 3.5mm -> RCA adapter.

Seems like that ought to do the trick.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 11
Would prefer a single cable myself, but I'm sure I can find something suitable on that site - thankyou SysteX.

More opinions/suggestions welcomed...

Jul 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Jul 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 11
For a cable run that long, you really need to have separate cables for each channel. Using a single cable is going to increase crosstalk.

Your 1212M requires phone plugs on the "card" side of the cable, too, or adapters that will plug into the 1/4" phone jacks and provide an RCA jack so you can use an RCA-to-RCA cable.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 11
It'll be easiest to make a cable for yourself. Well, maybe not easiest, but it'll be the cheapest in the long run. If you buy lots of wire, you can make more cables as you go down the line so you wont need to buy anymore cables. Plus, it's pretty fun
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a cable run that long, you really need to have separate cables for each channel. Using a single cable is going to increase crosstalk.

I thought of this - but considered that even if I do use separate cables, they will pretty much run so close together that they may as well be one. Perhaps I should use something like well shielded speaker cable - RCA one end and 1/4" at the other?

Just making sure... but what I assume I need is left and right 1/4" plugs running from the card (bottom one in this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...5741203c66.jpg pic) which connects to amp at the other end via left and right RCA plugs... correct?

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought of this - but considered that even if I do use separate cables, they will pretty much run so close together that they may as well be one. Perhaps I should use something like well shielded speaker cable - RCA one end and 1/4" at the other?

Many misconceptions here, let's start at the beginning........

Properly shielded stereo cables, with the shield connected at one end only, have such little interchannel interaction that it's not an issue.

Here is a well regarded audio signal cable for a single channel signal:

w2549.jpg

One would normally connect the "clear" conductor to the tip on a 1/4" plug, the blue to the sleeve, and make sure the shield didn't connect to anything on that end. On the other end, the clear would be connected to the center signal pin on the RCA, with the blue AND shield connected to the outer ground. The shield then effectively funnels all interference to ground at the amplifier end only.

If you wished to make it a truly "single" cable, this "star quad" construction is often used for stereo mini-to-RCA pair cables:

w2534.jpg

This photo sort of hides one of the blue conductors......there are two clear, two blue, four total. One clear conductor is connected to the tip of the mini, the other clear to the ring, and the two blues are attached to the sleeve. On the other end, you have to split out the spirally wound conductors, then connect one clear and one blue to each RCA as noted above. The big question in that case is where to connect the shield....and it usually ends up being at the mini end, because it is harder to split the shield on the other side.

In your case, which requires pairs of plugs on both ends, this is not necessarily the easiest or neatest thing to build.

Look at how closely the two stereo signal conductors are to each other--they very nearly touch, with no shield between them. Interference/crosstalk follows an inverse square relationship with respect to distance. In starquad, the signal conductors are maybe 1 mm apart. Placing the signal conductors in separate runs only 5 mm apart cuts crosstalk to 1/25 of what it would be in star quad. And that's without shielding, which reduces the effect even further.

But by "single cable", do you mean something like this--two independent channels physically connected together, but separately shielded?

w3106.jpg

Using cable such as this you would just make it up like the first cable shown above. It's simply for ease of handling that the two sides are connected in the middle, like speaker "zip" cord.

Many of the stereo pair cables with molded ends are made this way; some less expensive versions use a pair of small coaxially constructed cables, with just one conductor in the middle as the signal, and the shield serving as the ground side of the audio connection (connected to the RCA ground on both sides rather than just one.)

I'm drawing a complete blank by what you are referring to as "well-shielded speaker cable"........most speaker cables are just two-conductor, unshielded designs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just making sure... but what I assume I need is left and right 1/4" plugs running from the card (bottom one in this http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...5741203c66.jpg pic) which connects to amp at the other end via left and right RCA plugs... correct?

Correct, you need a plug like this on the card end:

nys224g.jpg

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Great response - very helpful thankyou sejarzo!

Quote:

But by "single cable", do you mean something like this--two independent channels physically connected together, but separately shielded?

w3106.jpg

Yes - exactly what I was thinking...

Quote:

I'm drawing a complete blank by what you are referring to as "well-shielded speaker cable"........most speaker cables are just two-conductor, unshielded designs.

I meant the above - sorry, now that I read it back it is misleading. Was referring to the way the two channels are joined externally thereby using separate shielding - thought this would help reduce the 'crosstalk' mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back