Connect HDMI or TOSLINK optical cable for audio
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

framos917

New Head-Fier
Which would you chose to connect your computer to an AV receiver, connect from Computer HDMI-out to HDM- in on receiver? Or would you connect from computer to ASUS USB DAC, then from ASUS spdif out port using TOSLINK optical cable  to receiver's optical input. I think they should be the same as far as digital data is concerned. Computer has about 100gb of my audio collection in flac format. With HDMI to HDMI, I will use the receiver's DAC and using the optical I will be using the DAC from the ASUS USB, if I understand this correctly. Does it make any difference?

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 6
  Which would you chose to connect your computer to an AV receiver, connect from Computer HDMI-out to HDM- in on receiver? Or would you connect from computer to ASUS USB DAC, then from ASUS spdif out port using TOSLINK optical cable  to receiver's optical input. I think they should be the same as far as digital data is concerned. Computer has about 100gb of my audio collection in flac format. With HDMI to HDMI, I will use the receiver's DAC and using the optical I will be using the DAC from the ASUS USB, if I understand this correctly. Does it make any difference?

Asus USB DAC??

You would be using the receiver's DAC, with both the HDMI and optical connections.
The optical and HDMI are digital audio signals (pre-DAC)
With 2-channel music audio, the HDMI and optical will offer the same audio quality.
If you were playing a Blu-ray movies with 5.1 or 7.1 audio, HDMI would be the preferred connection.
Blu-ray 5.1 movie, using optical, using (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, would be second choice.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 6
  Asus USB DAC??

You would be using the receiver's DAC, with both the HDMI and optical connections.
The optical and HDMI are digital audio signals (pre-DAC)
With 2-channel music audio, the HDMI and optical will offer the same audio quality.
If you were playing a Blu-ray movies with 5.1 or 7.1 audio, HDMI would be the preferred connection.
Blu-ray 5.1 movie, using optical, using (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, would be second choice.

Yes, it is the ASUS Xonar USB U3. Thanks for his information. Since I am doing this connection, just for audio and 2 channel music, I think I will do the optical connect. Thanks again.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 6
This is one of my main issues with headfi - everyone says 'get a DAC' and half the people don't even know what a DAC is.
If you're connecting to a receiver using a digital cable you will be using the DAC in the receiver.
I suggest HDMI is a good option since it has more bandwidth if you need it in future.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 6

Yes, it is the ASUS Xonar USB U3. Thanks for his information. Since I am doing this connection, just for audio and 2 channel music, I think I will do the optical connect. Thanks again.

Your using a USB sound card, it shares some features with a USB DAC, but the U3 is usually called a USB sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back