Connect HD558 to Titanium HD via RCA (3.5mm Female to 2x RCA Male) or 3.5mm headphone jack directly?
Oct 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

soundy08

New Head-Fier
Hi. I spent hours reading up on my sound card. I understand the DAC of the soundcard are quite decent. But I'm confused on which way would I benefit most from for listening through my HD558? Does the 3.5mm headphone jack and RCA has the same impedance output? Please correct me if i'm wrong cos I'm a noob. 
redface.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm fairly sure you want to hook up headphones to the Titanium HD's headphone jack.
Or for better audio quality, spend a $100 for the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier and connect the Magni to the RCA outputs on the Titanium HD, plug headphones into Magni.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks PurpleAngel.

If I hook up the RCA on TiHD to Magni, then would I need to reconnect when I want to listen from my speaker?

Would you recommend if I use 3.5mm headphone jack convert to RCA > Magni, and I remain the connection to my speaker from RCA output on TiHD or vice versa?

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks PurpleAngel.

If I hook up the RCA on TiHD to Magni, then would I need to reconnect when I want to listen from my speaker?

Would you recommend if I use 3.5mm headphone jack convert to RCA > Magni, and I remain the connection to my speaker from RCA output on TiHD or vice versa?

If you were going to use an amplifier and speakers on the T-HD's RCA jack, then you would have to switch the RCA connection, when going back and fourth between them.

When you plug anything into the T-HD's headphone jack, it automatically cuts off the RCA jacks, so you would have to unplug whatever is plugged into the headphone jack, when you want to use the speakers.

You could try a Bravo Ocean, it's a headphone amplifier with a separate line-out, plug it into the RCAs and you can leave both hooked up, to the Bravo Ocean.

Or just swap out the Ti-HB for a $100 Sound Blaster Z.

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 7
  I'm fairly sure you want to hook up headphones to the Titanium HD's headphone jack.
Or for better audio quality, spend a $100 for the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier and connect the Magni to the RCA outputs on the Titanium HD, plug headphones into Magni.

Why do you recommend plugging the Magni to the RCA outputs instead of the headphone jack? Also, wouldn't using the RCA prevent you from receiving any 3D or 5.1 effects vs the headphone jack?

Also, can anyone answer the OP's initial question regarding the output impedance between the headphone jack vs the RCA?

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 7

Why do you recommend plugging the Magni to the RCA outputs instead of the headphone jack? Also, wouldn't using the RCA prevent you from receiving any 3D or 5.1 effects vs the headphone jack?

Also, can anyone answer the OP's initial question regarding the output impedance between the headphone jack vs the RCA?

no you do not lose the 3D effects threw the TI-HD RCA's 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back