Connect Computer to Harman Kardon HK 3770. Is it possible?
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FenceFurniture

100+ Head-Fier
I'm researching this for a friend, so I don't have the gear with me. I do have the PDF User Manual though which I will post here. Also, please bear in mind that I'm not much of a tech-head.

He wants to connect his computer to his HK 3770 amp so he can use JRiver to play tunes from FLAC files on his bigger speakers.

The HK does have a USB input on the front but unfortunately, it will only read MP3 or WMA files, and I really don't fancy converting 30,000+ files for him.

He does have a 3.5mm output port from the puta, and the HK does have a DAC in it (24bit, 192kHz).
There is a co-ax input on the back of the HK, and there are two optical inputs there as well.
I'm thinking that we should be able to go from a USB Type A output on the puta to a co-ax input on the amp, but I'm not sure if that is feasible. It would probably also require an interconnector because I'm not so sure that I can turn up a cable with USB-A on one end and Co-Ax on the other.

He also uses a PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL for recording his drums to computer and also for playing music on some small studio monitors, so maybe that can be used to be intermediary between the puta and HK (which goes to his bigger, newer Wharfdale speakers)? I have attached that manual pdf as well.

Any thoughts and input are appreciated.

Attachments

• Harman Kardon HK 3770 manual.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL Manual.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm researching this for a friend, so I don't have the gear with me. I do have the PDF User Manual though which I will post here. Also, please bear in mind that I'm not much of a tech-head.

He wants to connect his computer to his HK 3770 amp so he can use JRiver to play tunes from FLAC files on his bigger speakers.

The HK does have a USB input on the front but unfortunately, it will only read MP3 or WMA files, and I really don't fancy converting 30,000+ files for him.

He does have a 3.5mm output port from the puta, and the HK does have a DAC in it (24bit, 192kHz).
There is a co-ax input on the back of the HK, and there are two optical inputs there as well.
I'm thinking that we should be able to go from a USB Type A output on the puta to a co-ax input on the amp, but I'm not sure if that is feasible. It would probably also require an interconnector because I'm not so sure that I can turn up a cable with USB-A on one end and Co-Ax on the other.

He also uses a PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL for recording his drums to computer and also for playing music on some small studio monitors, so maybe that can be used to be intermediary between the puta and HK (which goes to his bigger, newer Wharfdale speakers)? I have attached that manual pdf as well.

Any thoughts and input are appreciated.
Easy solution: Buy a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD interface. Here's the chain: usb output from computer to X-FI HD and optical S/PDIF output from X-FI HD to HK optical input. The driver for the X-FI can be set to allow transmission up to 24/96.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 4
You can go from 3.5 mm out to line in of the HK using a 3.5 to 2x RCA adapter.
Sound quality will be as good (or bad) as the onboard audio of the PC allows for.
You might also try a Bluetooth connection between the PC and the HK but observe this is a lossy transmission.
There are USB to SPDIF converters, these allows you to connect the HK to the PC using USB.

Your best bet is the Presonus.
It looks like works as a USB DAC so PC > USB > Presonus > line out > HK
If the Presonus also has SPDIF out, you might try this using the DAC of the HK instead of the Presonus.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you both. We have had more discussion in the interim and I have learnt that he uses USB-A to USB-B for puta to PreSonus. I think we are now going to try a cheap (to start with) co-ax linking the Presonus to the HK amp and see if it works. If it does then he will invest in a reasonably decent co-ax (like an Audioquest Forest).

Yes, the PreSonus has a SPDIF out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back