Confusing DAC issue
Nov 15, 2010 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to get the following setup to work:

Windows 7 64bit -> Foobar/WASAPI -> TPA USB receiver (PCM2707) via SPDIF -> Buffalo II (ES9018) -> analog out

I actually need not specify Foobar/WASAPI, because it seems as though EVERY playback option I try results in the audio stuttering, as if it's a buffering issue. I've tried Windows Media Player, and I've tried directsound instead of wasapi in foobar, but it always seems to stutter. I've tried adjusting the buffer size everywhere between 50ms and 1000ms (after 1000ms, I get no playback at all.)

I tried using my Alien DAC (PCM2702) and there is no stuttering. Just as a sanity check, I verified that BOTH DACs work on my other computer (XP, Foobar, ASIO4ALL.)

Is there anything I haven't tried yet on the software side of things that may help? I don't think there is any problem with the hardware.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 3
Your TPA is kind of acting as a middle man, is there any way to go directly from your computer to the Buffalo II?  That could help I would think.

Likewise if not can you get Analog out from the TPA and skip sending the signal to the Buffalo.  It just seems sort of redundant to have 2 DAC's together and I wonder if that is somehow the cause of the problem.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 3
The USB module is outputting SPDIF to the Buffalo, because I am using this with my computer and not with a direct SPDIF output.

It is a middle man but I see no reason for it not to work. And it works on my other machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back