Confused!!
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dougan

New Head-Fier
I listen via a A&K AK70 through a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LP2's.
As I listen to acoustic music, I thought I would try a pair of open back headphones.
So I bought a pair of Hifiman's HE400S from the for sale forum.
As they are made for portable sources with a low impedance, I thought they would be easier to drive for the AK70.

I am finding that I need the volume level 15-20% higher for the same level as the LP2's.
I am a little confused, as I thought the opposite would apply?

On another topic, the Hifiman's are amazing, everything I have wanted from a headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 5
I listen via a A&K AK70 through a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LP2's.
As I listen to acoustic music, I thought I would try a pair of open back headphones.
So I bought a pair of Hifiman's HE400S from the for sale forum.
As they are made for portable sources with a low impedance, I thought they would be easier to drive for the AK70.

I am finding that I need the volume level 15-20% higher for the same level as the LP2's.
I am a little confused, as I thought the opposite would apply?

On another topic, the Hifiman's are amazing, everything I have wanted from a headphone.

105dB vs. 98dB

If you're basing your volume settings on how well you can hear the midrange, then the stronger low end of the LP2 are getting you some auditory masking. Since you hear more bass more easily you end up cranking it up to hear more midrange. EQ the bass off and you'll likely set it lower.

You can look at it the other way around. Since you hear the midrange and treble easier on the HE400S more easily and more easily perceive the sound as sharp and grating, then you stop cranking it up at that point. EQ the midrange and treble out to bring the bass out more and you'll likely set this one higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back