confused :(
Mar 29, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RasmusseN

500+ Head-Fier
I have HD580's without proper amplification currently using AV-710. While I like this setup I am worried that it may not be "my sound" what I am looking for. I am than worried to buy an amp for this setup without knowing what my sound is.

I've only tried Sennheiser so far owning HD555 now HD580. I wouldn't say I am disappointed just curious what else is out there and don't want to spend money and find out I prefer another brand.

I listen probably 90% Rock and 10% Classical

I forgot to mention I play games with my headphones mostly first person shooters

Top 3 favorite bands are probably Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Korn.

with all the rave about Grados being the best for rock and such it's holding me back from buying an amp. I don't want to get a Heed CanAmp and find out I prefer Grado to Sennheiser and end up having a amp that is better for Sennheiser and AKG if that makes sense.

I never hear anyone rave about how Sennheiser is really good for rock but I do hear that about Classical. I just find myself feeling like I am owning the wrong headphones.

What would you guys recommend I do?

The best idea I've came up with is try to get to the meet so I can try a bunch of headphones and amps. than from there decide what I want to do

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Pull off the earpads, take the foam out, replace earpads, put on your head, listen to some music. See if that helps.

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 7
If you like the senn sound but want a better rock phone, just pick up an MS1 and then you will get to test the Grado sound, and have a great compliment to the 580. I dont want to say the MS1 sounds similar to the 580, but there is very little if any adjustment period switching between the two.

I was using Senns and AKGs until 2 weeks ago when I picked up an MS1 and that quickly led me to buy an SR225. I am in love with the Grado sound!!! I highly recommend you branch out, especially for the rock genre.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pull off the earpads, take the foam out, replace earpads, put on your head, listen to some music. See if that helps.

I've already listening to it like that it's too harsh. I did do the kramers socket mod on my foam though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the senn sound but want a better rock phone, just pick up an MS1 and then you will get to test the Grado sound, and have a great compliment to the 580. I dont want to say the MS1 sounds similar to the 580, but there is very little if any adjustment period switching between the two.

I was using Senns and AKGs until 2 weeks ago when I picked up an MS1 and that quickly led me to buy an SR225. I am in love with the Grado sound!!! I highly recommend you branch out, especially for the rock genre.

It's not that I don't enjoy them with rock I just wonder if there is better. I am considering getting some Grados though SR-225's seem to be nice.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already listening to it like that it's too harsh. I did do the kramers socket mod on my foam though.

It's not that I don't enjoy them with rock I just wonder if there is better. I am considering getting some Grados though SR-225's seem to be nice.

there is always better. that said, the 580 is one of the most competent headphones and well rounded. for the price, it does more than probably any other headphone (when doing things well). it offends no music, does not congest much and is sweet everywhere except maybe some violin stuff which is just too much resolution that you wish the quality could tone down.

the heed from all accounts can do grado well. it has enough power sure enough. however, hd600 sing out of that. i am quite sure that your pink floyd will suite very well with heed and 580, but... who is korn? i have not heard much zeppelin, so sorry. im a trance head
rolleyes.gif

any headphone amp with a bit more punch will give it a bit more authority on rock, but... they are competent. i love the hd600 with rock and they are not a far cry. but then, i don't like cold edge music and cannot listen to most rock as it sounds like stones tumbling against eachother and fuddy.

i think the ms1 is a great phone too but... only if you really like rock. i have not enjoyed grado for much other than that... though live is great with them. if you like live recordings or bootlegs... grado is pretty sweet.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
c&c v2 amp is what i use. relatively cheap but great results...

x2

i also have ms-1's. people say 595's are supposed to be good with rock, but i disagree. my ms-1's trounce the 595's by far in terms of rock. i own all 3 because my ms-1's are the bright ones, my 580's are the dark ones, and my 595's are the median.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back