Confused with terms
Jun 13, 2005 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kwhv

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a new member here. I'm interested in getting a portable headphone amp for my audio technica ATH-EW9 and zen neeon mp3 player. There are so many terms- cmoy, pimeta, apheared and PPA.
confused.gif
What are the difference between these amps? Which is best for driving most headphones (even low impedence ones)? My budget is up to $120. Thank you for you attention and feedback.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 13, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm relatively new to the amplification world myself, but i'll try to help out as best i can
smily_headphones1.gif

For a small, portable amp for the likes of ATH-EW9's out of an mp3 player, i'd probably reccomend a MINT amp. As far as i understand it, the philosophy behind a cmoy is to reduce the size of the amp as much as possible, wheras the MINT follows a more "reduce size until it begins impacting on performance" tao.

Look for a good little MINT, preferably the typre driven by either one or two 9v batteries.

Jun 13, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Someone posted a Porta Corda II yesterday.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123409

They are asking $120 in the thread above. I just paid $140 for one and I love it. It won't rock my high-impediance HD580s (300 ohms) but it sounds great on everything else AND has the crossfeed switch.

With a power supply (on order) it may rock my high impediance cans yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back