Confused with DAC, Amp, and headphones connection..
Apr 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

qwer9108

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm consindering to buy Shiit Lyr and Apogee Duet and connect it to AKG K501 to listen music from my laptop.

How would I have to connect them?

Is it possible to use a computer in this case?

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 6
MacBook --Apogee (USB)-- Lyr (RCA)..HP

May 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes, it can be that simple. One thing of note is that from what I understand MOST (I can't say for sure with the DAC you are interested in) DACs don't have the best USB stage so to speak, and so it would be better to connect through Optical or Coax to the DAC, but that depends on if your computer/laptop has those outputs available, if not then USB it is. But yes it is that simple. As far as cables, sometimes they're included sometimes not. If you start looking in to RCA interconnects you enter a whole new world of confusion, and I'm going to reserve speculation and simply say that you can use anything from $2.00 RCA interconnects from your local electronics store up to +$1000 interconnects that some people swear by and others swear is "snake oil". I own a set of decent interconnects, but nothing too elaborate ($100ish), but if I were you I'd probably just order a relatively cheap pair of audio only interconnects from somewhere online (such as monoprice.com) and leave the really fancy interconnect stuff for later on down the road.

May 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Yes, it can be that simple. One thing of note is that from what I understand MOST (I can't say for sure with the DAC you are interested in) DACs don't have the best USB stage so to speak, and so it would be better to connect through Optical or Coax to the DAC, but that depends on if your computer/laptop has those outputs available, if not then USB it is. 

The Duet is firewire only.

I purchased a custom breakout cable for it to connect to my PPAv2 and observed no audible change from using the stock one.  I didn't expect any improvement, but rather just wanted to sidestep having a half a dozen unused connections dangling behind my endtable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back