Confused Which Headphone To Get
Oct 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RitchES

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi community,

Been always coming here fro awesome product reviews and never really got it signing up. Finally did so today and here's my first post!

I would like some advice from the experts here on what headphone is great to buy as an all-purpose headphone.

There are so many good heaphones out there for so many different purposes that it's is really tough for me to choose which headphone would be the best one for me. 

I mainly use my headphones at home on my computer to watch movies, listen to music and game. I don't use a dedicated sound card nor an amp. I don't consider myself an audiophile but I do enjoy my music and I think I can make out whether headphones are good or not.

I listen to all kinds of music but electronic, dub step, classic rock and a little Hip Hop is what I mainly listen to.

The kind of headphone I like would be one that could serve me in all that I do, watch movies, listen to music and which is good for pc gaming.

I like an over-the-ear, closed set of cans that is not only built well but also looks good. Aesthetics is very important for me. I like big headphones that have comfortable ear pads so the headphones can be worn for extended periods of time. It would be awesome if the cable could be detached from the cans for storage and it doesn't employ proprietary connections on the end that connects to the headphone (Bose AE2's etc.). Ideal headphones would not be too light nor too heavy.

The headphones I like are the Sennheiser Momentum's, AKG K550's, Sony MDR-1R's.

I currently use the Bose AE2 which is pretty good at what it does but my wife recently started using them and is in love with them so I'm in the market for a good set of cans.

Wouldn't mind if the recommendations have noise-cancellation or bluetooth. Anything to make life easier but not at the cost of audio quality.

Please help me with your input!

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 24
Hello,

the Sennheiser Momemtum is a great headphone for almost every genre of music but I definitely do not like to use it for gaming, and movies. The AKG K550 does not come with an detachable cable.

A good alternative to AKG K550 at the moment would be PSB M4U1. I prefer the PSB over 1R for your use :)

If you can afford to pair the PSB with an amp, that's even better! Something like the FiiO E10 (since you uses it mostly on desktop) will do otherwise, the FiiO E17/07K/11 is a very good alternative if you are more of a active kind of people xD

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 24
Hello,

the Sennheiser Momemtum is a great headphone for almost every genre of music but I definitely do not like to use it for gaming, and movies. The AKG K550 does not come with an detachable cable.

A good alternative to AKG K550 at the moment would be PSB M4U1. I prefer the PSB over 1R for your use
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can afford to pair the PSB with an amp, that's even better! Something like the FiiO E10 (since you uses it mostly on desktop) will do otherwise, the FiiO E17/07K/11 is a very good alternative if you are more of a active kind of people xD

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion on the PSB and the amp. Will look into it more. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 24
One thing to consider is the output impedance of whatever you're plugging your headphones into. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=output+impedance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=output+impedance+headphones

It's a big reason why headphones can sound radically different from source to source. A higher output impedance going into a K550 or Momentum will muck up the sound a lot. I have both of those and have heard a lot of different phones. Feel free to search out some of my posts. My current fav phone is my Yamaha Pro 400. The sound is pretty well balanced and can bring a strong bass when needed. But the big bass keeps itself to the bass guitar and percussion. The way it's positioned never makes it feels like drums are assaulting your ears. It's also clear with adequate treble energy while having a soundstage that works for movie scores and other genres like rock and hip hop. Source recordings are important. If the mastering is too bright, clipped, muddy, distorted, etc, no headphone is gonna fix that. The 400 has a detachable cable and an awesome carry case that I can fit two Sansa clip zips in along with my sd card case. I got it for $159 new on amazon, from amazon. The price fluctuates. Last I checked amazon sells it for $300. If you wait, it will dip again(check its history on camelcamelcamel.com). Or just buy it 3rd party used. 

I tried a Sennheiser hd280 at best buy the other day. It sounded better than the K550 when comparing them back to back at the store. I have no idea the output impedance or whatever of best buy's demo sources though. HD 280 is only like $50 used and it sounds in the same league as the other closed phones mentioned in this thread. So much of this stuff with headphones is about subjective taste, not objective performance. Is there even an objective way to measure resolution? There is for tvs, but I haven't seen a specific resolution measurement for a headphone.

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 24
  One thing to consider is the output impedance of whatever you're plugging your headphones into. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=output+impedance&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=output+impedance+headphones

It's a big reason why headphones can sound radically different from source to source. A higher output impedance going into a K550 or Momentum will muck up the sound a lot. I have both of those and have heard a lot of different phones. Feel free to search out some of my posts. My current fav phone is my Yamaha Pro 400. The sound is pretty well balanced and can bring a strong bass when needed. But the big bass keeps itself to the bass guitar and percussion. The way it's positioned never makes it feels like drums are assaulting your ears. It's also clear with adequate treble energy while having a soundstage that works for movie scores and other genres like rock and hip hop. Source recordings are important. If the mastering is too bright, clipped, muddy, distorted, etc, no headphone is gonna fix that. The 400 has a detachable cable and an awesome carry case that I can fit two Sansa clip zips in along with my sd card case. I got it for $159 new on amazon, from amazon. The price fluctuates. Last I checked amazon sells it for $300. If you wait, it will dip again(check its history on camelcamelcamel.com). Or just buy it 3rd party used. 

I tried a Sennheiser hd280 at best buy the other day. It sounded better than the K550 when comparing them back to back at the store. I have no idea the output impedance or whatever of best buy's demo sources though. HD 280 is only like $50 used and it sounds in the same league as the other closed phones mentioned in this thread. So much of this stuff with headphones is about subjective taste, not objective performance. Is there even an objective way to measure resolution? There is for tvs, but I haven't seen a specific resolution measurement for a headphone.

for a 32ohm headphone, anything below 4ohm of output impedance is more than enough! It shouldn't be a problem for that. The next thing is that the K550 has this sealing problem. If you can't get a good seal, it may sound rather thin with rolled off bass but with good seal + warmish amp, the result is just WOW! If you have $350 budget for a new audio set-up, this is the set-up that I will highly recommend :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 24
I tried a Sennheiser hd280 at best buy the other day. It sounded better than the K550 when comparing them back to back at the store.

Most people would consider the K550 in a different class from the HD280. The problem is that one has to get a good seal and get the positioning right to get good sound out of them. Trying them at a store generally doesn't achieve that.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 24
  Welcome! Do come back here if you have anything more to ask :) 

Also let us know on which headphone you ended up with and how u like it :)

Will do. The issue with me is, I don't mind spending a bit of money on a good set of cans if they are a quality item and it lasts me a long time. Since it's something I want to invest it, this might take some time. =) But I will definitely post my end choice here.

Thanks for your insight, fateicon. As you and BillsonChang007 suggested the PSB and the Yamaha models, my only concern is the hinges on those models. What are both your thoughts on the quality or the durability of headphones with hinges on their frames? In my opinion, I always thought that those hinges weaken the structural integrity of a headphone. Maybe Im wrong but that is one of the main reasons I havent bought headphones with a foldable design (Eg. Beats line of cans, this is not the only reason I haven't bought the beats). If these are not an issue I will look into the Yamaha. Like the case it comes with.

Also, you mentioned the sealing issue with the AKG K550's. I have read that too in different forums. Now I wear spectacles so will that cause a seal problem if I were to try a K550? Another issue is Im in Canada and there aren't stores here where you can try out headphones before buying. Not that I know of anyway. The only store you can try our headphones is the Sony store (only Sony products) and Apple (not-worth-the-money products).

Anyone know of good stores in Toronto or in the GTA with stores where you can try on headphones? Especially the good ones (Shure, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheisser etc)

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 24
Will do. The issue with me is, I don't mind spending a bit of money on a good set of cans if they are a quality item and it lasts me a long time. Since it's something I want to invest it, this might take some time. =) But I will definitely post my end choice here.

Thanks for your insight, fateicon. As you and BillsonChang007 suggested the PSB and the Yamaha models, my only concern is the hinges on those models. What are both your thoughts on the quality or the durability of headphones with hinges on their frames? In my opinion, I always thought that those hinges weaken the structural integrity of a headphone. Maybe Im wrong but that is one of the main reasons I havent bought headphones with a foldable design (Eg. Beats line of cans, this is not the only reason I haven't bought the beats). If these are not an issue I will look into the Yamaha. Like the case it comes with.

Also, you mentioned the sealing issue with the AKG K550's. I have read that too in different forums. Now I wear spectacles so will that cause a seal problem if I were to try a K550? Another issue is Im in Canada and there aren't stores here where you can try out headphones before buying. Not that I know of anyway. The only store you can try our headphones is the Sony store (only Sony products) and Apple (not-worth-the-money products).

Anyone know of good stores in Toronto or in the GTA with stores where you can try on headphones? Especially the good ones (Shure, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Sennheisser etc)

Thanks.

To answer your question, the PSB USED to have the hinge cracking issue but it's now fixed according to new owner.

AKG K550 depends mainly the head size in terms of sealing. If you have small head, maybe you should look somewhere else :)

Since you are willing to wait for awhile for better headphone, I will be getting the K702 Annie next month will let you know how it works with your requirement :)

Never been to Canada so I have no idea on headphone store but you might like to look into Amazon for testing headphone. If you don't like it, you can always return it :)

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 24
To answer your question, the PSB USED to have the hinge cracking issue but it's now fixed according to new owner.

AKG K550 depends mainly the head size in terms of sealing. If you have small head, maybe you should look somewhere else
smily_headphones1.gif

Since you are willing to wait for awhile for better headphone, I will be getting the K702 Annie next month will let you know how it works with your requirement
smily_headphones1.gif

Never been to Canada so I have no idea on headphone store but you might like to look into Amazon for testing headphone. If you don't like it, you can always return it
smily_headphones1.gif

Good idea on the "Amazon testing" idea. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 24
The v-moda m-100 is also a good choice as well at $300

That's so funny. I was actually just going to ask about those headphones. How are they? I have heard they are too focused on base, as in base-heavy. Construction I hear is great, correct?

Please let me know your thoughts on the headphones, especially the long-duration usability. Can it be used hours on end without feeling discomfort?

Thank you.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #13 of 24
That's so funny. I was actually just going to ask about those headphones. How are they? I have heard they are too focused on base, as in base-heavy. Construction I hear is great, correct?

Please let me know your thoughts on the headphones, especially the long-duration usability. Can it be used hours on end without feeling discomfort?

Thank you.

I am not completely sure how good the M100 sound but when it comes to build quality, you don't ask how well does V-Moda's headphones perform in build quality! They are extremely strong and extremely hard to beat when it comes to durability!

Billson :)

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 24
I am not completely sure how good the M100 sound but when it comes to build quality, you don't ask how well does V-Moda's headphones perform in build quality! They are extremely strong and extremely hard to beat when it comes to durability!

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I heard. Thanks Billson.

Could anyone comment on how good it sounds? I like the sound on my Bose AE2's and I have used the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sony MDR-1R, which were also good. But how is the M100 compared to either of these headphones? Are they better? Is the sound well balanced?

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 24
That's what I heard. Thanks Billson.

Could anyone comment on how good it sounds? I like the sound on my Bose AE2's and I have used the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sony MDR-1R, which were also good. But how is the M100 compared to either of these headphones? Are they better? Is the sound well balanced?

Thanks.

They have a very V-Shape sound to it. Powerful bass is it's strong point :) if you wish the ATH-M50 offer more bass then the M100 is for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back