confused tube valves type names
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maketus

New Head-Fier
hi, i am new guy with tubes. i buy my first full tube amplier and instatly go confused so many different names in for tubes that look the same. default tupes is power tube 6n5p are they 6080,6n13p,6h5c,6as7,6as7-g are they all compatible ?

i already buy one svetlana 6h5c, i am scared to replace 6n5p tubes that svetlana tubes

another tube is 6n3 is it 5670 compatible together, is here anything else types what is compatible ?

i dont wanna break the new amplifier with the wrong kind tubes

Sep 12, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 5
Sep 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 5
hi, i am new guy with tubes. i buy my first full tube amplier and instatly go confused so many different names in for tubes that look the same. default tupes is power tube 6n5p are they 6080,6n13p,6h5c,6as7,6as7-g are they all compatible ?

i already buy one svetlana 6h5c, i am scared to replace 6n5p tubes that svetlana tubes

another tube is 6n3 is it 5670 compatible together, is here anything else types what is compatible ?

i dont wanna break the new amplifier with the wrong kind tubes

The ultimate answer is that you need to learn how to check tube resources. Many are available on the web. Beyond that, there are many tube dealers who can give you tube replacement suggestions. Jim Cross of Vacuum Tubes Inc. is one, Roy and Dale Rogalsky at Radio Electric Supply is another. Radio Electric Supply deals in very high volumes, though, so it might be best to fully check out their website, first. Brent Jesse Recording is another, so is SND Tube Sales. Tube Depot even has "Tone Consultants" (I have one of their business cards.) That's mainly for guitarists, but they can easily determine tube compatible replacements for you, especially if they can sell them to you. :wink: One of the best data resources on the web is the Duncan Tube Sheet Locator: http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/. Even better, download and install their Personal version of the TDSL: http://www.duncanamps.com/tdslpe/.

TDSL can give you immediate compatible tubes. Beyond that, there are tubes that may be close, but different. That's where a bit of research pays off. You can ask questions in forums and look up the specific tube in google, but a better way is to learn how to interpret the tube data sheet that TDSL can help you find. There are really three primary qualities that differentiate tubes:
1. Numbers of pins
2. Heater voltage and current
3. How the pins are connected

#1 is easy - if the numbers of pins are not the same, you can't even plug it in. #2 is fairly easy, but you have to watch for parallel vs. series connections with some tubes and how the heater voltage and current is supplied in the amplifier. Still, it's fairly easy to determine whether a tube has a 6V heater voltage or a 12V heater voltage (other heater voltages are used, too).

Finally, even if you find that #1 and #2 are a match, you need to check #3. Even if a tube has the same number of pins and the same heater voltage/current, the amplification pins may not match up with the tubes in your amp. There are other factors that are important as well - tube gain, power dissipation, etc. It can get as complicated as you want. Not to worry too much, though, because truly compatible tubes are found using TDSL without checking any of these. It's only when you are really into extreme tube rolling and you're trying to find that magical unicorn of a tube: unbelievable performance at a low price. Just know that tube unicorns exist for almost every amplifier circuit: they only remain to be found and tried the first time.

Sep 16, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi @maketus,

@tomb gives good advice, especially with the three qualities which differentiate tubes, so well done @tomb, maybe one day I would suggest set up a dedicated thread to explain this further if one isn't already available.

Just my humble two cents but before I myself go into too much detail, what tube amp are you using as this would help narrow things down to see what has been tried already.

But in general, most 6 Series tubes share similar characteristics but are not similar so be careful what you pick but in this case, you should be fine but don't quote me on that as aside from the three differing tube qualities as already mentioned, some tubes also come in different types or designations in the same series, the letter at the end of the number is there for a reason.

From personal experience, aside from doing research on compatible tubes which is quite easy nowadays due to the internet as was already stated by @tomb, when choosing tube amps in any design, prior to purchase or even demo said tube amp, regardless whether you roll tubes or not, or just simply after a replacement tube(s), find out how easy it is to find said tubes used & how much they cost to replace or 'upgrade' as when potential 'upgraditis' hits, it hits some hard...much like anything in this hobby...

Though saying that, as @tomb says, there are many good tubes out there, whether unicorn or not, which are really great to awesome sounding for the price, I have found one recently in particular myself which I am ridiculously happy with & hope to get more though I need a tube amp which supports more tubes though I am also considering buying spares in case they ever run out but I digress...

A good rule of thumb when choosing tubes, even those of the same series, is find out what general concensus says a particular tube sound like, not just changing said tube just because...
Vaccum &/or valve resources will usually give this information quite readily too, as do demos of said tube series as not all tubes, especially in a particular series sound the same.
Once you have a general idea what said replacement &/or upgrade tube might sound like then decide from there whether you want to hear & experience said tube.
This definitely makes things less confusing & time cosuming to find what will work for you.

Other places which may help you as well, simply entering search terms, @maketus, is the following in no particular order :

thetubestore.com
tubes-store.com

Hope this all makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back