confused; tread, steps, what? my head hurts!
Jun 19, 2007 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
ive had a bit of a search but cant find anything.
my question is this, i have a mint amp that i am currently running from a 12v wall wart, and i want to build a 18v power supply for it (im in the uk, so 240v mains). From what i can gather the tangentsoft tread kit is only for 22v to 36v (that seems wrong, but i cant decipher anything else) there seems to be a world of opportunities out there and its very confusing for someone as noob as me.
so my question is this;

how do i build a low cost, decent quality power supply for my mint?

any help or pointers are appreciated. thanks in advance.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 6
you need: parts for a tread (or the thread kit) and a transformer. you can grab one at most electronic distributors. toroidal transformers are a bit nicer (less electromagnetic emission).
they convert 240v down to 22v-36v (Ac to AC). you should them buy 3-4v higher than you intend to use in your power supply.
this means: if you want 18v output, you should probably get at least a 21v transformer. you must also look for the maximum current the transformer supports - this should be higher than your intended output current. for your pint, you most likely only need something in the range of 30-90mA, so a transformer capable of 100mA should most likely be enough

oh, and about the voltage: you either could accept the 22v voltage (if your caps and opamps in your pint support this), or you could change one resistor. there's a description on tangents site

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive had a bit of a search but cant find anything.
my question is this, i have a mint amp that i am currently running from a 12v wall wart, and i want to build a 18v power supply for it (im in the uk, so 240v mains). From what i can gather the tangentsoft tread kit is only for 22v to 36v (that seems wrong, but i cant decipher anything else) there seems to be a world of opportunities out there and its very confusing for someone as noob as me.
so my question is this;

how do i build a low cost, decent quality power supply for my mint?

any help or pointers are appreciated. thanks in advance.

You just need to get a TREAD (the kit is nice), transformer and then a 1.5K ohm resistor for R2 instead of the standard 2K ohm one. The tread works just fine for 18V, just look at the schematic listed on the TREAD site. Good luck!

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 6
You can build a TREAD to output voltage as low as the LM317's (or whatever suitable ICs) minimum output, which is like 1.7V(?). Just calculate the resistor values needed from the formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back