Confused: Spotify sounds better than CD rips
Jan 7, 2016 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wilderbeast

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I haven't used a streaming service before but was getting bored with my music and wanted to try some new stuff. So I signed up to a trial of Spotify, and was enjoying the music I found. 

Now here's the thing - I purchased a couple of CDs based on the music I heard on Spotify and ripped them into ALAC (lossless) files. When playing them on my iPhone, or via my Chord Hugo, they just don't sound as pleasant as when listening via Spotify. I would describe the Spotify sound as 'lovely'. The same music not via Spotify just doesn't have the same cosy, pleasant sound.

I guess my question is why? Does Spotify do something to the sound? Is it the file type they use?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I didn't spot a specific forum for streaming.

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 4
I found my Mac burner for CD Rom and music data had different speeds. 

You can optimise the recording quality by slowing down the writing speed, and then it will probably be better than Spotify. 

If you are ripping tracks from Spotify via an outboard DAC, the sound quality will probably outstrip the CD rip quality.  That's what I found.  
On the other hand, if I record to mini-disc by an outboard DAC from Spotify, it sounds better than when I play back on computer.  I think it's the built in amp guts or whatever?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back