Confused! Sennheiser HD280 or HD238
Sep 4, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rory88uk

New Head-Fier
hi all

I've just purchased a set of Sennheiser hd280 but i've just been having a browse on these forums and all i can see is negative feedback about the hd280s! I listen to a lot of house/dance/electro music and apparently these 'lack bass'. Is it really that bad????

At the moment I use sennheiser cx300 earphones, sennheiser ex-82 earphones (love them...) and sennheiser hd201 headphones. My PC speakers are Aego M's.

I figured the hd280's would be a nice upgrade. I will be using them solely in the house (it'll be quiet so sound isolation isn't top priority) with my pc (audigy 2zs sound card, upgrading soon to asus xonar ds). Will probably try them on my Sony S639F mp3 player as well.

Now i am thinking i should have gone for something different! The only other headphones within my budget that I've been looking at are the Sennheiser HD-238 and Sennheiser PX-100. Surely they can't be better? !

I know there are other brands but Sennheiser have the best looking headphones by far!

Any help would be appreciated!
beyersmile.png

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rory88uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just purchased a set of Sennheiser hd280 but i've just been having a browse on these forums and all i can see is negative feedback about the hd280s! I listen to a lot of house/dance/electro music and apparently these 'lack bass'. Is it really that bad????

I don't know why it is, but the HD 280 seems to be a favorite target for bashing among certain segments of the audiophile community. In any case, your ears have to be the judge; you really should wait until you've listened to them before making any decisions.

Quote:

At the moment I use sennheiser cx300 earphones, sennheiser ex-82 earphones (love them...) and sennheiser hd201 headphones.

Sennheiser doesn't have an EX-82 model, you must have meant the Sony model with that name.
For what it's worth, the HD 280 doesn't have the sort of overemphasized bass you may be used to with your Sennheiser CX 300, but it's certainly present, and it's much more accurate. If you like the HD 201, you'll probably be very happy with the upgrade.

Quote:

Now i am thinking i should have gone for something different! The only other headphones within my budget that I've been looking at are the Sennheiser HD-238 and Sennheiser PX-100. Surely they can't be better? !

They are both open headphones, meaning that if you're concerned about isolation from outside noise, or if you don't want to bother people around you with leaked sound, you may want to stay clear. As for whether they sound better than the HD 280, it would probably depend on your tastes. The PX 100 is probably a downgrade (or more likely, a "sidegrade") from the HD 280, unless you like a large mid-bass emphasis. The HD 238 is supposed to be like the PX 100, but all grown up and matured. I suppose the HD 238 very well might be better than the HD 280, but since I've never listened to them, I can't say for certain.

Sep 4, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 10
Thank you for your help and advice applaudio.

Yes sorry i meant sony ex-82 earphones.

Really i just want the best headphones for my money. I would have expected a huge improvement from the hd280's over the px100 considering the average price for hd280's is about £80 and the px100 is about £25. The HD238 headphones can also be purchased for £50 on amazon!

I listen to almost all types of music both mp3 and lossless and using various sources so i am mostly looking for an all-rounder.

I have already purchased the hd280's so as per your advice I will give them a go! I will continue using my sony ex-82 earphones when im out and about so as i have mentioned the Sennheisers will be primarily hooked up to my pc for general music listening and djing (at home!)

I don't like my HD201's very much but they only cost £10!

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 10
Actually, I would like to make a few corrections/clarifications to my first post:

The HD 280 can be a bit underwhelming when it comes to bass, mainly because the mid- and upper- bass are not emphasized at all. However, they have a strong, well-extended lower bass. So, overall, the bass does have a slight emphasis, but you might not realize it if you're listening for powerful mid-bass. And upon looking around, there does seem to be a pretty significant number of people who find the bass rather disappointing. Just don't expect anything like the booming bass you get from your CX 300, and take the HD 280 for what it is: a well-rounded, tough, monitor phone.

Important: if you don't have a dedicated headphone amp, the HD 280 will not sound very good. If you don't care to get an amp, then you might consider returning the phones. Actually, the HD 201 benefits from an amp as well, so you might want to try matching it to a good amp before buying another headphone.

About the HD 238, if you really don't need isolation, definitely give them a shot.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 10
I've used an HD280 for over 2 years as my starter closed headphone. Their most attractive feature is sound isolation - if I'm playing rock or metal with them on someone can burglarize my house and I wouldn't notice. Since isolation isn't important to you, look at open headphones. Ear/Canal phones don't sound better than an equivalent open phone (IMO).
I'm guessing your budget is about $100? Why not look at Grado SR60/80 or even higher up on the used forum? I found them an awesome value for the money, and they're great unamped too.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 10
The Senn PX100 sounds much better overall than the HD280.
I have had them both for years, but i never use the HD280 anymore.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 10
managed to snag a set of HD238 for cheap
jecklinsmile.gif

will give them both a go now...

Biggest problem with the HD238 though is the cable length... 1 metre
frown.gif

I won't be getting a headphone amp anytime soon, it seems a bit much really?

My other alternative btw was a set of Sennheiser HD-25 concordes but i wasn't sure how they would be driven as they are 300ohm headphones...

Thanks for the help guys.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 10
I love my HD238... i do, but they struggle with deep bass. I can hear the diaphragms cracking in protest with any rap music.

To be honest, I've just bought a pair of Ultrasone HFI-680, and for electronic stuff, there's nothing better IMHO. The 680 have made my more expensive Proline 750 redundant of i'm honest!

BTW i'm one of those people who had a pair of HD280's and the headband cracked on me after 2-3 months, so i sent them back! I couldn't get used to the SQ. Big chunky headphones, lightweight sound. I much prefer the Ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back