Confused over the "clock" term for volume knob settings
Jun 16, 2011 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TobaccoRoad

500+ Head-Fier
I'm talking about the term we use to describe our amp's volume knob adjustments. Turning up to 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, you get the idea. Well I've recently seen people say they turn it up to 9:15, 10:45 as if their amps have a second hand like an actual clock or something. I thought this clock term was pretty straight forward but now I'm just confused as hell. Can someone enlighten me please?

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 4
The X Oclock is just relating to the position as in an actual real life clock.
12:15, for example, just means 12 O'clock + another quarter hour. It's just being more precise.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 4
That's what I figured, although it seems kinda unnecessary. Why not just say 12:30 and call it a day? I understand if the volume knobs are big enough to make that kind of adjustment, but most amps' knobs are rather small for its purpose. Is 15 minutes really gonna make a difference in volume?

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 4
It does make a difference in volume. But with my amp, for example, 15 minutes is just at the point of being audible.
But generally I think whole hours are accurate enough when used in forum discussions. The only place where I think it could be usable is in technical discussions, mainly in the sound science sub forum.

Why didn't you ask it there btw? I think terminology related discussions belong there anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back