Confused novice here, buying my first DAC+full-sized headphones for PC music listening, need advice.
Apr 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AndyTheDrifter

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm seeking advice on how to build a decent setup for listening to music on my PC, specifically FLAC files. Because this is a bit of an open-ended question, I was not sure if I should post this here or in the headphones forum, so my apologies if I chose wrongly.

Since 2007, I have been listening to music using a first-generation Auzentech X-Meridian PCI sound card connected via optical cable to a set of Logitech z5450's 5.1 speakers. I'm beginning to realize that my speakers were designed primarily for surround sound gaming and movie watching, so I'm thinking about buying a pair of headphones exclusively for music. I am also considering buying a DAC instead of upgrading the sound card.

I'm at a loss as to what headphones to get, as there are so many different options and opinions out there. My most listened-to genres are traditional country and bluegrass, so I suppose that accurate vocal and acoustic instrumentation replication would be the most important quality I am looking for. I'm also thinking open headphones would be preferable to closed because they would be for home use only. If you guys could tell me what headphones would go together with the Audioengine D1 DAC and would fit my needs, I would be very grateful. My budget for everything all told is around ~$550.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 3
What's your budget?  This will greatly help narrow the field.

You mentioned you're looking for open headphones and mentioned home use so I'm going to assume you're looking at full size headphones.  What full-size headphones have you used in the past, if any?  Did you like them?

In answer to your question about FLAC, yes that is a fantastic widely used lossless codec.  The only real limitation I've come across using it was when it came time to take my music portable.  While there are a variety of portable devices out there that will play FLAC natively, the iPod doesn't so I switched from FLAC to Apple Lossless.  

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey, man, thanks for the reply. I started another thread in the Headphones section (http://www.head-fi.org/t/606557/best-300-headphones-for-music-listening), and received some help there. Will probably be picking up the HiFiMan HE-400s and a DAC like the Audioengine D1. My budget is $550ish, but I think I've decided on what I'm going to get. Thanks for the help though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back