:confused: :mad: :( HD650's Let Down
Feb 25, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 76
That makes the point stick that much harder.

Excelent price for the HD650 BTW!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 76
Another thought. Take your 497 and 650 back to your dealer. Try them out on some of his/her equipment. If you still don't think the 650 is better ask for your money back. If they are reputable, and you bought based on their advice, they should take them back and either give a full refund, or at a minimum full credit toward something else.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 76
OK I will be upgrading my sound card in the future and when I do I will make sure it would do a HD650 some justice (that is if I still have it by then). But for now, if you guys think that with an amp (for now a Cmoy, but later a gilmore lite) the 650's will vastly improve and dwarf the 497's as they should; then should I keep it and not return it?

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 76
DO you have any time left before you can return it or is that the service problem you are talking about?

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 76
Well no I can return it within 7 days for no reason but have to write a letter etc and after approval will get refunded. The only thing that I love about these headphones at the moment is the comfort and looks! By the way I'm not saying that I think these phones suck; just that for my particular setup the differences between say my 497's and the 650's aren't as overtly apparent as they should be

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 76
Well, if you can't return the headphones you can always look into our buy/sell forum and see if anyone is interested in taking them off your hands.

Before you do that, I'd highly recommend you try it out with another source and if possible an amp.
biggrin.gif

The only reason the differences aren't apparent is because you don't have a quality source and amp. If I hook up my 650s to the back of my audigy2 in my roommate's computer and then compared them to my 590s, I'd wonder what the extra $$$ is going towards besides build quality. Having an amp will make a night and day difference.

Now, if you really just don't like the sounds of the 650s, you should get out while you're ahead and put your money elsewhere. Maybe an amp for your previous headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 76
At $286 I don't think you can go wrong keeping them. Besides the fact that you may soon get the equipment or ears to love them, if you don't then you KNOW somebody will like them and will buy them, they are some of the most respected cans on head-fi.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #25 of 76
Hmmm thats interesting Harrath. There not unlistenably quiet for me just not the equivalent volume of what I'm used to with my 497's. Bottom line is I'm never going to get £1000 upon £1000 of high quality, high fidelity souces and amps. But I will get a good headphone amplifier for the audigy (probably a gilmore lite or rega ear). For me now the real question is, I'm never really going to realise the absolute full potential of the phones; but with, for now, a Cmoy and later a better amp is it worth keeping these phones?

Another reason I bought them is a lot of the professional LAN CS and UT2004 players in my team reccomended them for the edge in intense deathmatches. Now I have tried them in counter strike etc and although good they didn't neccessarily give me the 'edge', only comfort for long periods of time.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #26 of 76
I would kill to buy the HD650 at $280. Please do not return them. For the love of God.

And I would skip the cmoy and just go for something like a Gilmore Lite, if I were you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 76
First you need to take these phone and try them at a store that has a nice amp and source. Make sure that the senn house sound is for you. If you like the sound signature then YES keep them and upgrade your source and get a decent amp.
If you use these headphone mainly for CS then your wasting your money. There are other headphones that will fullfill that role for a lot cheaper! BTW these headphone will not give you an edge in CS, only practice and more practice will do that. Take it from a recovering CS freak.

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 76
Depending on your budget and portability needs, I'd go for something like a Gilmore Lite/Millet Hybrid/Emmeline SR-71/Xin SuperMacro ($300-$400).

In addition, I would replace your soundcard with an EMU-0404 ($100).

If you aren't impressed with that setup, it's the headphones fault...

Just provide us with your budget and we can suggest a supporting system for you.

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkangpae
I would kill to buy the HD650 at $280. Please do not return them. For the love of God.

And I would skip the cmoy and just go for something like a Gilmore Lite, if I were you.
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be even better
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #30 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
i think he gets the point it needs an amp, it was repeated like 4 times.

We could say it a thousand more times, but threads like this will still pop up. We hammer in the "good source & amp" stuff for reason. People judge too prematurely, without giving the product in question a proper chance. Then if it's still crappy to them, we can understand, and possibly help find another pice of equip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back