Confused between Bose QC25 and Sennheiser Momentum
Oct 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Read lots of reviews but the sound quality of Bose QC25 to Sennheiser momentum still lacks lot of details.

Has anyone tried Momentums here? 

What I enjoy: Good Soundstage, Rock music (Gary Clarks Jr, Elbow, NIN, Pink Floyd, Black Keys), EDM (Progressive trance..Armin, Gareth Emery)

What aspects of momentum are better than QC25?

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 15
From the short period I had the QC25, I noticed that the noise-isolation is absolutely superb. I dare to say best in its class. However, its lacks serious bass. They're they type of headphones you'd imagine a first class businessman would wear on his 10 hour flight to Europe. That is not to say that it doesn't sound good, but if I were to focus on SQ, I wouldn't choose the QC25. I've never tried the Sennheisers though, but I'm willing to bet that it's better when it comes to SQ. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 15
  From the short period I had the QC25, I noticed that the noise-isolation is absolutely superb. I dare to say best in its class. However, its lacks serious bass. They're they type of headphones you'd imagine a first class businessman would wear on his 10 hour flight to Europe. That is not to say that it doesn't sound good, but if I were to focus on SQ, I wouldn't choose the QC25. I've never tried the Sennheisers though, but I'm willing to bet that it's better when it comes to SQ. 

i am gonna use them with cowon j3 and also on long flights couple of times a year....from what i heard momentums arent too much better in Sound quality but there doesnt seem to be a direct comparison.

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 15
The QC-25's are the best when it comes to NC - just incredible!
If you are using them mostly for travel/portable use then definitely the QC25's.

If you use them more at home, then the Momentum's :D

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 15
thanks.

I think i am going with QC25's.

tried them today and sound quality is respectable for an NC headphone

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 15
  The QC-25's are the best when it comes to NC - just incredible!
If you are using them mostly for travel/portable use then definitely the QC25's.

If you use them more at home, then the Momentum's :D

Have you had the chance to listen to the QC25s with noise cancellation disabled? (and without an amp) Do they still sound similar?

I am wondering if they are a good all around option for both listing to music while travelling but also at home ...

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 15

Have you had the chance to listen to the QC25s with noise cancellation disabled? (and without an amp) Do they still sound similar?

I am wondering if they are a good all around option for both listing to music while travelling but also at home ...

IEMs with high passive attenuation. My Shures are good enough for me to listen to stuff while taking off my wheels using an impact wrench, inside the garage no less. I am sure they are good enough for long flights.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 15

I have actually! There is a slight 'dampening' in the sound quality but still is very decent. Definitely will be a good option.
I've had the QC15's also for 2.5 Years and I can say that they're the best investment i've made. Excellent for studying and exceptional for travel/planes :D

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 15
I have actually! There is a slight 'dampening' in the sound quality but still is very decent. Definitely will be a good option.
I've had the QC15's also for 2.5 Years and I can say that they're the best investment i've made. Excellent for studying and exceptional for travel/planes :D

Thanks! Yes for travelling I am convinced they are the best option - no matter how good the headphones, without efficient active or passive isolation I cant't hear any detail in the music :)
And I don't like using IEMs for a long period as it makes my ears uncomfortable (plus the best isolating ones would probably be on the most uncomfortable side for me), so good ANC is the only way for me.

I know it is a bit of a silly and subjective question, but if you have used the Momentums how far behind would you rank the QC25 for listening at home from a laptop with a decent enough audio out? (MacBook Pro)

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 15

I've had the QC15's also for 2.5 Years and I can say that they're the best investment i've made. Excellent for studying and exceptional for travel/planes
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Yes for travelling I am convinced they are the best option - no matter how good the headphones, without efficient active or passive isolation I cant't hear any detail in the music :)
And I don't like using IEMs for a long period as it makes my ears uncomfortable (plus the best isolating ones would probably be on the most uncomfortable side for me), so good ANC is the only way for me.

I know it is a bit of a silly and subjective question, but if you have used the Momentums how far behind would you rank the QC25 for listening at home from a laptop with a decent enough audio out? (MacBook Pro)

I think I listened to the Momentum's earlier this year @ an Apple Store.
I would say a slight improvement in SQ But definitely no drastic differences :D Both have low impedance so a MacBook Pro will easily drive them. (I've got one!)

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 15
did a review finally...had to def experience them on a long flight :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742240/bose-qc25-review-long-flight-experience-included

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 15
Hey mate
I purchased a pair of QC-25s, I read many reviews about momentums, urbanites and QC-25s before I went to choose.
I was cirtain I would love the urbanites or momentums because of all the positive reviews.. And well mostly negative reviews concerning the SQ of the Bose option.
To be honest I was listening to my music on the urbaites and momentums quite happily.. Then when I tried on the Bose and listened to the same songs I was pleasantly horrified to find that to me the Bose QC-25s sounded way better..admittedly you don't hear a big boom when it comes to base..but instead I was able to clearly hear things like drum beats as if they were being playwed live in front of me and all the little tincy details of the music which were barely audible on the senhisers, right then I didn't care about any of the negative reviews..because to my own ears they just blew me away..and the added effect of not hearing all the background noise is really cool..you can wear them without listening to music for a couple of minutes and then take them off...you hear loads of little sounds in your quite house you didn't even realise were there..
So basically I bought these cans mainly for in my opinion great sound quality over senhiser momentums and urbanites (and a few other options such as the beats line up)
Now I understand that not everyones ears are exactly the same (not sure if everyone realises this though) but to you personally you may find some other headphones sound better..but what I have learned is that you can only take a review so far..like in my opinion !most apple products are a waste of money..but to other people its the other way around.. And I am not going to argue with that..so just go out and try out a few options before you buy.. And get the one you love the most but keep the reviews in the back of your mind instead of the first thing you think of.

Haveaniceday.

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 15
For a long time I drank the koolaid of "bose = no bass". I've had the momentums gen1 and loved them. I got rid of them in favor of the Kef m500 (sexier look, more portable design, comparable sound).

Anyway someone gave me a pair of QC 2. Free headphones are free headphones right? I was blown away at how great they sounded. They are so comfortable and clear sounding. And these headphones are ancient. I can't even imagine what the updated ones sound like. One problem the qc 2 have is they cut out when they get too much bass and my battery is towards 30 percent.

Moral of the story is try the headphones before making a decisions. A company might surprise you .

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 15
First to answer your question, they both have good sound, just different sound signatures depending on what you're used to or like. I would say the Sennheisers are a more fun sound. Slightly v-shaped. The Bose are more balanced with a slight vail to the sound. Even though the Momentum have decent sound cancellation compared to others on the market, it still isn't even a fraction of what the Bose does. It actually kind of sucks compared to the Bose which means the other brands are really bad. For the price of the Sennheisers you can get very good open back headphone and the Bose, so why compromise. Now to the real issue with the Sennheisers that nobody notices or is talking about.

I was so excited to get my Sennheiser Momentum Wireless. I honestly think these things destroyed my ears because they started ringing shortly after I started using them for two weeks. They make a warbling type of motion in the ear cups. This is hard to describe. Almost as if there is Bass being produced and you can feel it but can't hear it. It made my ears start to hurt, and ever since then my ears have been more sensitive to noises, causing them some pain. At first, I thought it was a defective pair so I ordered a different set from a different retailer in hopes of getting a different batch as well. I couldn't have imagined that nobody else noticed this. At first, I thought it was in my mind. I ended up turning off the music and I could feel the pulsations. I've used many other active noise cancelling headphones including the Phiaton MS 530, the Beats Studio Wireless, and the Phiaton 210. None of those had the same problem. There were so many great reviews for the Sennheiser and they are such a beautiful headset that I didn't want to get rid of them. Now I have the Bose QC25 and the Beyerdanamics DT990 for about the price of the Momentum's. A much better option in my opinion, without the negatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back