Confused between AKG K550 and Bose QC15
May 30, 2017 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rebelx

New Head-Fier
I prefer closed headphones to limit ambient noise from the street. So far, my daily drivers have been the QC15.

I have them plugged into an adapter like this and that goes into an Asus Xonar DG sound card into my PC.

I use the adapter because previously (years ago, when I first started to use them), they created a warmer, more natural sound. Without the adapter, the sound is quieter and more tinny. It's weird, but I've come to rely on the adapter.

I acquired a new K550 for $97 after taxes.

My question is for sound quality, which would people prefer? I am assuming it would be the K550 from what I've been reading here. Both headsets are relatively old (release date), and they have different sound profiles. The Bose seems to be a more warmer, middle sound. The K550 has a lot of highs and appears to sound slightly more clear.

I tested sound clips on Tidal, since it's the only place I have access to with higher quality audio. I think the K550 sounds like it has a bigger range.

There is no question that the Bose headset is significantly more comfortable. If I keep the K550, I will need to buy something like this wool covering to make the headband more comfortable. Right now, the headband creates a pressure point where it rests on my head. Is there a better product out there for that purpose?

My primary use is Netflix and gaming. I play FPS and MOBAs. I am also on Teamspeak and other VOIP programs often.

Open back headphones are not a possibility due to ambient noise.

If the sound quality is only slightly better than the QC15, then I might as well save the $97, but if it's significantly better, then I may consider keeping the K550. I honestly can't tell if there is a significant difference between the two (some difference, yes).

May 30, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 6
I have them plugged into an adapter like this and that goes into an Asus Xonar DG sound card into my PC.

I use the adapter because previously (years ago, when I first started to use them), they created a warmer, more natural sound. Without the adapter, the sound is quieter and more tinny. It's weird, but I've come to rely on the adapter.

Probably raises the impedance load that the soundcard "sees."

I acquired a new K550 for $97 after taxes.

My question is for sound quality, which would people prefer? I am assuming it would be the K550 from what I've been reading here. Both headsets are relatively old (release date), and they have different sound profiles. The Bose seems to be a more warmer, middle sound. The K550 has a lot of highs and appears to sound slightly more clear.

I tested sound clips on Tidal, since it's the only place I have access to with higher quality audio. I think the K550 sounds like it has a bigger range.

There is no question that the Bose headset is significantly more comfortable. If I keep the K550, I will need to buy something like this wool covering to make the headband more comfortable. Right now, the headband creates a pressure point where it rests on my head. Is there a better product out there for that purpose?

My primary use is Netflix and gaming. I play FPS and MOBAs. I am also on Teamspeak and other VOIP programs often.

Open back headphones are not a possibility due to ambient noise.

If the sound quality is only slightly better than the QC15, then I might as well save the $97, but if it's significantly better, then I may consider keeping the K550. I honestly can't tell if there is a significant difference between the two (some difference, yes).

I'd prefer the K550, and also for comfort because they fit my head better.

In your case, you already have the K550, and have noted what you don't like about them, so you don't need to ask anyone else, which is useful if you're only about to order the K550.

May 30, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Probably raises the impedance load that the soundcard "sees."

I'd prefer the K550, and also for comfort because they fit my head better.

In your case, you already have the K550, and have noted what you don't like about them, so you don't need to ask anyone else, which is useful if you're only about to order the K550.

Can you comment more on the impedance load? Is that a good thing (or bad thing) that the soundcard "sees" more with the adapter plugged in? I just think it sounds nicer with the adapter, even though I've read that adapters make the sound worse.

I was hoping someone would be a bit more supportive of either keeping or not keeping the K550. I can get around the comfort issue with additional padding, but not sure what to do as for sound quality. :/

May 30, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Can you comment more on the impedance load? Is that a good thing (or bad thing) that the soundcard "sees" more with the adapter plugged in?

The output impedance needs to be very low relative to the load impedance, otherwise it can EQ the sound. Depending on the amp circuit and headphone/IEM plugged in, sometimes it can sound like molasses, sometimes it can sound like a tin can. In other cases a high output impedance OTL tube amp only boosts the midrange on high impedance headphones, which is what makes them sound pleasing to many.

I just think it sounds nicer with the adapter, even though I've read that adapters make the sound worse.

Only if the materials used or the build quality just sucks. Otherwise I'd worry more about how adapters are clunky in your pocket if it's for a portable player of some sort or if it's putting a lot of weight on the socket they're plugged into, what with the adapter's male plug, short cable, female plug, and the headphone's male plug all playing monkey bar on the socket they're all plugged into.

I was hoping someone would be a bit more supportive of either keeping or not keeping the K550. I can get around the comfort issue with additional padding, but not sure what to do as for sound quality. :/

I'd keep it but I can't speak for you or recommend you do that if you can hear you don't like it.

Did you try the K550 with the same adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back