Confused after leaving Audio convention.. need clarification and help/recommendation.
Mar 23, 2019 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tsukuyomi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Fellow Head-Fi'ers :)

I'll make this short and sweet. Recently(today) I attended the Salon Audio Festival here in Montreal Canada.
There were many booths and rooms for many brands. I enjoyed the speakers and amps/dacs/turntables.
My main focus however was the headphone sections and products from known brands.
I made it my goal to find 1 or 2 headphones I could buy by this summer as a gift/treat to myself.

here is a list of headphones that i've tried:

Hifiman: Susvara, Sundara, Arya, Ananda, 1000v2, 1000se and Jade II.
Focal: Utopia, Stellia, Clear, Elegia, Elear
Final Audio: D8000, Sonorous VI, Sonorous III
Audeze: LCD2, LCD2C, LCDX Pro, LCDXC, LCD3
Sennheiser: 800, 800S, 820

Now here is where I need your help/experience/wisdom/recommendation or even just shared talk.

The Cans I enjoyed the most were the, Jade II, Arya, Susvara, D8000, Stellia, Elegia, LCD2C, LCDX Pro.
Cans I can actually afford, Elegia, LCD2C, LCDX Pro, Arya.

Do you guys/gals think there is a can that sits in a good overall flexible sound/cost value from the "can afford" list i've mentioned? :S

Thanks very much for consideration and advice! <3

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 11
I have only heard the LCD 2c's from your list, but I can say that they are fantastic value especially if you purchase used. In the end I sold the 2C in favor of my focal Elex because I felt the 2C was a little too thick sounding and not at fun.

I have seen the 2Cs and the elegia on sale second hand for under 600$, making them way to try out and live with for a while.

Do you have a preference or need for open back versus closed?

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 11
hifiman are not known for reliability...so stay away.

Sennheiser are very amp dependent so beware.

it seems like you enjoy deep bass and warmth.
I suggest your try Mrspeaker Aeon product, you may like it and you dont have to spend ridiculous amount on an amp to drive the Aeon. Also look into fostex TH900 used market, those things have some good deeepp bass but the mk1 have some music leakage issue, I am not sure if MK2 fix these issues. Other one to consider are ZMF headphone, ZMF tend to make stuff with Bass head in mind so you may like that. Do not try Mrspeaker Ether C or below as those are pretty reference sounding, from what I heard the Aeon is where Mrspeaker tune his stuff toward the general audience.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 11
I have only heard the LCD 2c's from your list, but I can say that they are fantastic value especially if you purchase used. In the end I sold the 2C in favor of my focal Elex because I felt the 2C was a little too thick sounding and not at fun.

I have seen the 2Cs and the elegia on sale second hand for under 600$, making them way to try out and live with for a while.

Do you have a preference or need for open back versus closed?
I would prefer an open back, as for now i have the open DT1990 Pros. the problem is, some open backs ive tried (focal clear, utopia, lcd2c and lcdx) dont seem to be completely open back when music is playing. i'd say they block off 70% of outside noise while music is playing. but when they're quiet or off, 95% of outside sound is noticeable.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 11
hifiman are not known for reliability...so stay away.

Sennheiser are very amp dependent so beware.

it seems like you enjoy deep bass and warmth.
I suggest your try Mrspeaker Aeon product, you may like it and you dont have to spend ridiculous amount on an amp to drive the Aeon. Also look into fostex TH900 used market, those things have some good deeepp bass but the mk1 have some music leakage issue, I am not sure if MK2 fix these issues. Other one to consider are ZMF headphone, ZMF tend to make stuff with Bass head in mind so you may like that. Do not try Mrspeaker Ether C or below as those are pretty reference sounding, from what I heard the Aeon is where Mrspeaker tune his stuff toward the general audience.
I've owned the 900mk2s already, sold them because the headband caused sore spots on my head after prolonged use. i havent gotten that sore spot with audeze, hifiman or focal yet. sennheisers im aware are very amp picky. at the moment the only "amp" i have is my RME ADI-2 DAC.

I've never tried a ZMF can, and its extremely hard to get any of thoes in my city let alone demo.
MrSpeaker i've tried the Aeons closed and they were nice but i found they didnt have enough separation that Audeze had(i think LCDX) which is why im preferring thoes more.

My fav cans are Beyers DT1990Pro. i'm more of a "mid to mid-high" focused person. I do like warmth and bass, but would prefer mids and mid highs more. the DT1990 Pros give me good enough bass. but if the bass was bumped a bit to the levels of the Elegia, LCDX or Jade 2/Susvara. i'd be very happy.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 11
I've owned the 900mk2s already, sold them because the headband caused sore spots on my head after prolonged use. i havent gotten that sore spot with audeze, hifiman or focal yet. sennheisers im aware are very amp picky. at the moment the only "amp" i have is my RME ADI-2 DAC.

I've never tried a ZMF can, and its extremely hard to get any of thoes in my city let alone demo.
MrSpeaker i've tried the Aeons closed and they were nice but i found they didnt have enough separation that Audeze had(i think LCDX) which is why im preferring thoes more.

My fav cans are Beyers DT1990Pro. i'm more of a "mid to mid-high" focused person. I do like warmth and bass, but would prefer mids and mid highs more. the DT1990 Pros give me good enough bass. but if the bass was bumped a bit to the levels of the Elegia, LCDX or Jade 2/Susvara. i'd be very happy.

Hmmm the Aeon line does have Open-back version. You could always go the used market, not sure why people shy from the used section, its a headphone, treat it right and it'll last for a long time. I bought my Beyer T1 used and it lasted me for years and still working.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Nope. But if you want a pair of headphone that slays all the ones on your list, then you should out the Raal-Requisite SR1A
$3499 USD is suuuuuper steep and not really within my budget im afraid :frowning2: i'm looking for something a lot less then that.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Hmmm the Aeon line does have Open-back version. You could always go the used market, not sure why people shy from the used section, its a headphone, treat it right and it'll last for a long time. I bought my Beyer T1 used and it lasted me for years and still working.
I'm a bit of a weird person, I'm not a huge fan of owning used things.
I personally dont like owning something that someone else has previously owned and used. the only exception being a car. because a new car is extremely expensive.
but when it comes to audio equipment, electronics, games, w/e. I'd rather buy brand new. and be the sole and only user of that product.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm a bit of a weird person, I'm not a huge fan of owning used things.
I personally dont like owning something that someone else has previously owned and used. the only exception being a car. because a new car is extremely expensive.
but when it comes to audio equipment, electronics, games, w/e. I'd rather buy brand new. and be the sole and only user of that product.

There is something nice about buying new, but I would have missed out on many listening experiences without the ability to trade in this site. The majority of members take great care of their headphones and you would never know you were not the original owner . Just some food for thought!

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 11
There is something nice about buying new, but I would have missed out on many listening experiences without the ability to trade in this site. The majority of members take great care of their headphones and you would never know you were not the original owner . Just some food for thought!
Oh i know, especially when you look at used higher end gear, people usually baby them and keep them mint. But the price doesnt drop too much from oem price. At that point id rather buy new.
Example, i had a pair of th900mk2. I bought them new for 1900$ plus tax, ship was free. But when i looked at the used market in my city, i found only one pair used and it was 100$ less than a new pair.... might as well pay the 100$ and get brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back