Confused about what sound card to get
Feb 24, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Honken

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to replace my SB Audigy 2 (yuck) card with something new to go a long with a future DAC (using S/PDIF). From what I've gathered the Chaintech AV 710 is really popular, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't really want to buy things from abroad and thus my selection is a bit limited. A list of available sound cards can be found here:
Interna Ljudkort - Hitta de bästa priserna, information och omdömen

Anyone know any other sound cards that doesn't interfere with the sound if using a DAC? Working Linux-drivers would be a plus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I forgot to say, price doesn't matter. But the cheaper, the better.

Feb 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Because I have it, I suggest you buy the Prodigy HD2. It have replaceable opamp, a headphone amp and optical out. One thing is, if you want to use external DAC, you can actually disable the internal DAC just by removing a jumper next to it. But it didn't support Linux though

If you play games, Auzentech X-Fi Prelude uses the same DAC as the HD2, and also replaceable opamp. Don't know whether it support Linux or not

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion! How does it compare to the "Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi" though? The price is similar, I'm not interested in 7.1 though.

Edit: The EMU 0404 PCI is a bit cheaper than both Prodigies, is that a good card as well? The USB-version is popular, is it not? How's Linux support on that one?

Also, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and 192 are also a bit cheaper than the Prodigies. Same question, how's the Linux support on these?

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 13
The 0404USB doesn't have Linux support. Some people have managed to get it working, but not with all its features and mostly not very well. The 0404 PCI I believe is a different story. I have a Audiophile 2496 and it worked perfectly with Ubuntu once I disabled the motherboards sound card.

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Alright, that sounds good. I assume that you use the S/PDIF coax in bitperfect mode? (Sorry, I've read a lot about this and it still confuses me.
frown.gif
)

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion! How does it compare to the "Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi" though? The price is similar, I'm not interested in 7.1 though.

Edit: The EMU 0404 PCI is a bit cheaper than both Prodigies, is that a good card as well? The USB-version is popular, is it not? How's Linux support on that one?

Also, the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and 192 are also a bit cheaper than the Prodigies. Same question, how's the Linux support on these?

The advantage is it have 7.1 support and uses Wolfson DAC, although I never heard from it but I have a DVD player that uses the same DAC, and it sounds wonderful. The capacitor is also better than in HD2, there are separate RCA out for 2.0 plus it have optical in and out

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypsee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The advantage is it have 7.1 support and uses Wolfson DAC, although I never heard from it but I have a DVD player that uses the same DAC, and it sounds wonderful. The capacitor is also better than in HD2, there are separate RCA out for 2.0 plus it have optical in and out

So it sounds like it's the better card. Well, if so I'll get that one. It only cost a little more. Just to be sure here, it CAN output bit perfect over coax, right? (Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I just want to be absolutely sure)

If so, I will go for it!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoliew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much you willing to spend? honestly, i'd rather get a usb external dac. Like the benchmark dac-1 or similar if you have about 1grand to spend..

I'm gonna spend roughly two grand (USD) on a new DAC and AMP + this soundcard. Problem is where I live. Stuff is expensive over here and I haven't found anyone who sells the DAC1 over here. I'd rather not order something this expensive from abroad either, I got bad experiences from that in the past.

I can count the available headphone amps on my hands and the selection of DACs is also very limited (although not _THAT_ bad).
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

So it sounds like it's the better card. Well, if so I'll get that one. It only cost a little more. Just to be sure here, it CAN output bit perfect over coax, right? (Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I just want to be absolutely sure)

If so, I will go for it!

I'm gonna spend roughly two grand (USD) on a new DAC and AMP + this soundcard. Problem is where I live. Stuff is expensive over here and I haven't found anyone who sells the DAC1 over here. I'd rather not order something this expensive from abroad either, I got bad experiences from that in the past.

I can count the available headphone amps on my hands and the selection of DACs is also very limited (although not _THAT_ bad).
frown.gif

Don't worry, this is no Creative cards. Both Audiotrak cards I mention is being able to bit perfect output, but both of them don't have coaxial out, just optical.

If you want coax out as well, check out ESI Juli@. Its funny that its cheaper than 7.1 HiFi, at my place the Juli@ costs a bomb, more than double the 7.1 HiFi. Basically its a better card than both 7.1 HiFi and HD2, from the people who owns both cards (though I never heard from it). ESI Maya44 is also good if you just want bit perfect coax out, and its cheaper too so you can spend more on DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard bad stuff regarding E-MU line of cards(the driver) thats why I don't recommend it

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Alright, well, the Juli@ it is if so. From what I've gathered coax is preffered over optical, right?

Thanks for all the help!

Well, some people say the jitter affects the optical out, so coax is better. But to my ear by switching it back and forth, I don't find any difference. Tested on my father's setup, Sony DVP-S7000 CD/DVD player with Audio Alchemy DDEv1.1 DAC for optical vs coax comparison

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Alright, well, the DAC I'm getting is cheaper with coax so... yeah, I think I'll go coax.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna get the Maya44 if it supports bit-perfect out over coax. As you said, it's a bit cheaper. Thanks again (for the third time?
biggrin.gif
)!

Edit: Or not, I see that Linux is officially supported on the Juli@. I think I'll go with the Juli@ just because of that.

Edit#2: I ordered the Juli@. Thanks for the help!

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Alright, well, the DAC I'm getting is cheaper with coax so... yeah, I think I'll go coax.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna get the Maya44 if it supports bit-perfect out over coax. As you said, it's a bit cheaper. Thanks again (for the third time?
biggrin.gif
)!

Edit: Or not, I see that Linux is officially supported on the Juli@. I think I'll go with the Juli@ just because of that.

Edit#2: I ordered the Juli@. Thanks for the help!

Alright, good to hear it, I didn't notice that Juli@ can be used in Linux, its a bonus to you! Enjoy your new card
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back