Confused about the K1000 rolloff
Jul 6, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get great bass from my K1000s and for a completely open design it's quite astounding how well they do bass. Mine are very happy down to 30Hz, below that it is relatively quiet at those frequencies.

The bass has more quantity than all my other headphones in my possession except for maybe the qp45x, but not by much. Anyway, at 20hz, my k1000 seems to respond better than my other headphones too.
eek.gif
It seems as if the common drawback for the k1000 bass extension is redundant in my case.
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 96
There have been two versions of K1000 produced. Do all your K1000 drivers have the same low bass?

2005M0101 = Normal version
2005M0102 = Special bassy version

Quote:

Hi Patrick,

The 2005M0102 was a special variation we once made for a customer in the US. According to the sound expectations of the average American these capsules had a slightly increased bass while the high frequencies were attenuated. Such capsules were only made over a short period of time, only for America and are no longer available.

Kind regards

Karl

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is my understanding that the special customer in America was Disney.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been said that the roll off starts at 50hurtz. However, I can hear 20hurtz perfectly fine in my setup using a couple different test tones.

The only test tone you should be using for this is a sine wave. For other waveforms you will hear "20hz" simply because they have higher harmonics. If you do, by some miracle, manage to hear a 20hz sine wave through a K1000, it will be very attenuated compared to a 100hz sine wave.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 96
I have somewhat similar experience with the K1000.
People always state that they are lacking (as in rolled off) in the bass area. They don't follow the SR-007 all the way down, but I still find them to be be very capable. Especially considering their completely open construction.

Perhaps its amplifier dependent? Or that there are variations between units.

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of the people who've heard my K1000s have noticed anything much missing from the lower end of the spectrum. They may not go quite as deep as conventional phones, they still have full and powerful bass.

Sorry to water your soup but I do have heard the K-1000 (maybe not yours) but others, many times, and IMO they are very good at what they do, but very bad at what they don't, the bass is what they do not do right at all, sorry. IMO the roll off is pretty evident in comparison to many other hepadhones...and not in the 50-ish range, IMO it begins far above that figure....that is unless you use the "magic Airtight" push-pull speaker amp Nik uses, that according to him, fixes all the problems and turn the K-1000 in to the best heapdhone ever made by God...
rolleyes.gif

Sorry guys this is not true, the K-1000 is severely lacking on the bass dpt...not in vane we have heard all the complaints time after time here for years, that is not new at all, and the concept have not changed a single bit yet, many people even try to use it with subwoofers...
eek.gif

Just compare it ot the HD650, DT880, Prolines, Editon 9, even some IEM's...and you will see...The SR007 is not a good example of good deep bass at all neither, nor any electrostatics are till now, BTW...

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys this is not true, the K-1000 is severely lacking on the bass dpt...not in vane we have heard all the complaints time after time here for years, that is not new at all, and the concept have not changed a single bit yet, many people even try to use it with subwoofers...
eek.gif

Just compare it ot the HD650, DT880, Prolines, Editon 9, even some IEM's...and you will see...The SR007 is not a good example of good deep bass at all neither, nor any electrostatics are till now, BTW...

It's true; 'stats are fail.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to water your soup but I do have heard the K-1000 (maybe not yours) but others, many times, and IMO they are very good at what they do, but very bad at what they don't, the bass is what they do not do right at all, sorry. IMO the roll off is pretty evident in comparison to many other hepadhones...and not in the 50-ish range, IMO it begins far above that figure....that is unless you use the "magic Airtight" push-pull speaker amp Nik uses, that according to him, fixes all the problems and turn the K-1000 in to the best heapdhone ever made by God...
rolleyes.gif

eek.gif

I have no desire to use my K1000 with subwoofers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only test tone you should be using for this is a sine wave. For other waveforms you will hear "20hz" simply because they have higher harmonics. If you do, by some miracle, manage to hear a 20hz sine wave through a K1000, it will be very attenuated compared to a 100hz sine wave.

Well, I used these, and another one I can't seem to find.

Jul 6, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 96
Quote:

The SR007 is not a good example of good deep bass at all neither, nor any electrostatics are till now, BTW...

Yeah, that's probably because they don't have S-Logic.
facepalm.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back