Confused about music quality. CD/FLAC/MP3??? Shed some light please:p
Dec 30, 2010 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
Since I've got my headphones, I've started getting all my old music in FLAC. I've always had just the plane ole' MP3. Since Ive been getting FLAC recently, i have a few questions...

I guess to state my most noob question, it regards CDs...

A CD that i go buy in the store... Is it good quality? Will it be better then any MP3 or FLAC file i download?

Given that "Lossless" or FLAC copies of the song are "the best", how does someone get a proper copy of a FLAC song? Correct me if I'm wrong, the way someone would get a FLAC copy would be to rip their CD as FLAC format, correct? If this is true, isn't that still lowering the quality of the CD? or do they take a raw file and copy it. I guess i just don't understand. I want to start getting high quality music. 

How does everyone get their music? How do you listen to it (CD, iTunes, MP3, FLAC)?

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 8
To put it in simple terms:
FLAC is a lossless format. You don't lose anything when using a FLAC compression on extracted WAV files from CDs.
MP3 isn't. You lose some of the information from the original uncompressed format for the sake of having smaller sized files.

So in general you have WAV (the original CD format) = FLAC > MP3

Now the only question you have to ask yourself is if you can hear that difference on your current setup.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 8
mp3 is compressed, so it has loss of audio
FLAC is lossless so it is the same as CD quality except it takes smaller space.
I think CD is good quality, although some serious audiophiles CD is just not enough, they usually listen to vinyls or SACD.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 8
To expand:

WAV = FLAC = ALAC = APE = WV > AAC = WMA = MP3

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Here is my incredibly simplified and clumsy explanation. It’s not technically correct, but I believe it gets the point across. We know digital music is stored as bits. These bits are 1’s or 0’s. Sometimes the 0’s are silent parts of the song and sometimes just number fillers like the zeroes in the number 100. But in any event, there are lots of them in a music file. When we save the file in a lossless format, every one of those zeros is also stored. Most of us have been to a sporting event, so the following picture should look familiar.

Your eye should see the number four. If we saved this digitally, we might use 1’s for the black dots and 0’s for the white dots. If we agree to always go from top to bottom and left to right, we would get a file that looked something like this:

By using this file, it would enable us to perfectly reconstruct the number four on our ‘scoreboard’ by turning on a light every time we see a 1 and skipping a light every time we see a 0. It takes 35 bits, because that’s how many we started with.

Now let’s say we substitute the number of consecutive 0’s we run across with that number, so we have a file some thing like this:

We would turn on the first light, skip 2, turn on a light, skip one, etc. This would still enable us to perfectly reconstruct the number four and only take 25 bits. We saved 10 bits out of 35, or 28% of our file size. (I realize that the numbers 2 and 3 aren’t 0’s and 1’s, but I told you it was simplified). It should be easy to imagine that we can save more space when ‘encoding’ the number 1, than we could save when ‘encoding’ the number 8. The same is true when we encode a song with a lot of quiet parts as opposed to one that’s non-stop music. That’s why one 4 minute song on your album might turn into a flac file that’s 652kbps, and another 4 minute song is 1005kbps.

Go look at the picture again. If we chop off the entire top row of ‘music’ we can still ‘see’ the number 4. That is lossy 'encoding’. Something is missing, but we can still tell it’s a 4. We might think the scoreboard was made that way if we didn’t know better. Not that big a deal. Imagine 320kbps mp3. Now picture the second light in row 4 goes out on our ‘scoreboard’. Much more noticeable. We can still tell it’s a 4, but we can tell a light is out. Picture 192kbps. A few more lights go out and we start to have a hard time reading the score (pun). Picture 128kbps.

Now in all fairness, the guys who make the lossy encoders are pretty smart. They know which parts to leave out that are harder for us to detect. Picture you are talking to a buddy in the parking lot and an airplane goes overhead. He doesn’t stop talking, but you don’t hear a few words clearly because the plane drowns him out. Lossy encoding throws his words away. The loud noise ‘masked’ the quiet noise. Many people don’t notice. Depending on what your friend was saying and how closely you were listening, you may notice. In today’s world, storage is so cheap and internet speeds are so fast that there is really no reason to go lossy. I just bought a 2TB drive for my music library to grow into for $80. I save my music in flac file format because it saves some space but doesn’t sacrifice any quality.

I realize this explanation was pretty hokey, but maybe it’ll help somebody to get a basic understanding or motivate them to go read up on the real stuff.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 8
The easiest explanation I have heard is this:

Let's say you have a scene where there is a man talking with a fly going around his head, followed by a jet airplane passing by with engines on. A lossless file will represent the scene exactly as it appears. A lossy file will give you the initial part of the scene (a man talking with a fly going around his head) but it will remove the man talking with a fly going around his head while the jet airplane passes by since the codec believes the average person will not hear that anyway. However, once it is removed, it can never be fully restored again.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 8
A CD that i go buy in the store... Is it good quality? Will it be better then any MP3 or FLAC file i download?

A few comments:

1) MP3 comes in many bitrates. How much MP3 is a downgrade from FLAC depends on the birate of the MP3; once you go below 192 kbps per second the quality starts to deteriorate rapidly. 320 kbps is often not that much of a difference from FLAC even in high end setups, but of course for an audiophile small differences can be night and day.

2) CDs comes in many different presses and issues. And the choice of the issue probably will have a much bigger impact on the sound quality than whether you are listening to MP3 or FLAC. Most of the newer CDs are remastered.... often but not always with a big decrease in sound quality. Because of something called the loudness war. Watch this to understand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

So the CD you buy in the store has a high chance of being inferior to the MP3 you download if the CD is a remaster and the MP3 isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back