Confused about K701's sound
Nov 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #31 of 49
the soundstage is good for trance, most electronic sounds pretty good on them with the exception of techno which needs more bass

dnb could be a little too sibilant and might need more bass, thats my opinion at least.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 49
The K701/2 does have anemic bass though when you compare it to other headphones. Sure its there and has nice depth, but impact is just not enough for a lot of genres even on my Burson amp. The bass response just doesn't feel "full" and lacks body. Of course there are people who feel its enough but they are in the minority IMO.

This isn't even the biggest gripe of have them - the extended soundstage messes with vocals too much for my liking.

Quote:

theres no anemic bass. its there, just more balanced with the rest of the spectrum, its not punchy,  but rather relaxed. however, the bass is very clean and tight as well as being textured and having good extension, it just lacks the impact people typically expect.

its good clean bass though, very textured and works great with the genres the k701 excels at.

i am sick of people saying the k701 has anemic bass because its so not true. coming from a good amp, there is definitely decent bass.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:
I don't know if I would necessarily stay away from K701 for that reason. The order of important features for me is this: soundstage, mids, bass, treble. 

Soundstage....big check
biggrin.gif

Mids.....big check
biggrin.gif

Bass....check
biggrin.gif

Treble....super big check
biggrin.gif

Word of the day: Check
biggrin.gif

P.S. K701 is a very balanced headphone across the spectrum, nothing emphasized, nothing lacking. Simple as that. That is why some said it has no personality. K701 has no personality.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #37 of 49

Quote:
Skip the K-701. It is the only headphone I bought and truly disliked. I gave them over two years and at least five amplifiers. The vocals/mids never sounded natural. They were always plasticky and artificial.

True.
They need dampening.  They seem to depend on part of the sound being returned by reflecting off of the back wall of the cups.  Dampening the back wall cleans up the sound by eliminating the coloration added by the plastic.  I noticed that the sound suffers if the top half of the cups is removed, which contains the wall, thus inspiring my mod for it.  It didn't sound quite sound right using any ol' material lying around until I used Dynamat.

Quote:
K701 sounds really like speakers. I remember when I happened to sit inside a speaker store. A Dynaudio Excite X12 bookshelf speakers was playing...Ah let me compare this to my K701..Oh it seems to be similar. Really K701 are Class A headphones that is similar to Class A or B speakers. To note, Dynaudio X12 speakers are Class B speakers, according to Stereophile.
biggrin.gif

P.S. In my opinion, K701 are bad in terms of burning issue. My suggestion is immediately pair it with a good desktop amp like Matrix maybe, and then have FASTERRRR results. Me, I've got long burning due to I use it first with a porta amp. Anyways, patience is a virtue. I'm reaping the rewards now. K701 sounded really good for its price...even paired with $100 desktop amp. But I still suggest to pair it with a better amp.
biggrin.gif

In general, pair K701 with a very good amp and a very good source....and alas! you will be happy cos you will have a very sound!!!
biggrin.gif

The M-Stage is good, the Dynalo/GS-1 even better. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:
K701 is bright, it's good for guitar, but bass is not so much

I agree that K701 is bright. I even describe it as a headphone at the 12 noon time. Super bright.....but that was before. A K701 is ultra bright can damage ear when it is brand new....less hours of burning.....no amp......amp is weak....poor source, etc.

A matured K701 is simply good headphone!
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #39 of 49

Quote:
I love (loved, but more on that later) my AKG K702s.  I've owned the Denon D2000 and the Beyerdynamic DT880/250 but the AKG K702 was just in a different league IME in terms of soundstage and clarity.  Even coming off of the D2000s, I never felt like my K702s were lacking in bass quantity, and the extension and texture is great.  There was a very pronounced decrease in detail when switching between the K702 and the D2000/DT 880 and it led me to sell the latter 2.

I just took the plunge for a T1 and now my K702s are not getting anymore head time.  Going from the T1 to K702 is like how it was going from the K702 to the D2k and DT 880 except in this case it's more about the realism and overall presentation of the music.  Compared to the T1s, the AKG sound does seem a bit artificial but I never noticed it otherwise.

Edit: Take a look at the graphs: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=703&graphID%5B1%5D=2621&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Despite what people claim, there does seem to be a difference between the bass quantity between the K702 and K701s, with the K702s coming out on top.

Funny , i recently adquired a DT-880 Pro and i don't think that they are in a different league at all ... yeah the K702's Soundstage is bigger but not soo much . More i listen to my DT-880 more i think that this can is a bit more detailled than my K702 , and K702 is fully burned about 900 h , i got my DT-880 PRO only 2 days ago . 

K701/702 Q/701 , can be described as neutral but i think now that DT-880 are a bit more neutral . 

And Fiio E7/E9 ... well i don't have the same setup at all : Audio GD NFB-2 + C2.1 . 

I Still really Like My K702 , but this DT-880 Pro is also a great can , and peraphs it's a bit more suited to my tastes ... 

First time i tryed K701/DT-880 /HD650 was not at home , in audio stores here in paris conditions were not good , and i slighty preferered K701 over DT-880 (HD650 is not my taste at all too much dark sounding and warm) . But now at home with my current setup things have changed ...

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #40 of 49

Quote:

Funny , i recently adquired a DT-880 Pro and i don't think that they are in a different league at all ... yeah the K702's Soundstage is bigger but not soo much . More i listen to my DT-880 more i think that this can is a bit more detailled than my K702 , and K702 is fully burned about 900 h , i got my DT-880 PRO only 2 days ago . 

K701/702 Q/701 , can be described as neutral but i think now that DT-880 are a bit more neutral . 

And Fiio E7/E9 ... well i don't have the same setup at all : Audio GD NFB-2 + C2.1 . 

I Still really Like My K702 , but this DT-880 Pro is also a great can , and peraphs it's a bit more suited to my tastes ... 

First time i tryed K701/DT-880 /HD650 was not at home , in audio stores here in paris conditions were not good , and i slighty preferered K701 over DT-880 (HD650 is not my taste at all too much dark sounding and warm) . But now at home with my current setup things have changed ...

I was referring to the DT 880 Premium, but I've never heard of anyone claiming the Pro having more detail than the K702s either.  It just goes to show we all have different tastes; it's good that you found what you like.

As for amps, I'm not a big believer in going all fancy and paying big bucks for coloration that can be done through EQ if need be.  The E7/E9 combo has plenty of power for my purposes and although people will say I'm not unlocking the full potential of the T1s, they sound pretty damn good to me. 
beyersmile.png

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #41 of 49

Quote:
I was referring to the DT 880 Premium, but I've never heard of anyone claiming the Pro having more detail than the K702s either.  It just goes to show we all have different tastes; it's good that you found what you like.

As for amps, I'm not a big believer in going all fancy and paying big bucks for coloration that can be done through EQ if need be.  The E7/E9 combo has plenty of power for my purposes and although people will say I'm not unlocking the full potential of the T1s, they sound pretty damn good to me. 
beyersmile.png

The 250 ohms premium and Pro , use the same driver just Pro use more clamp in the headband (i tryed both and prefer the fit of pro 
tongue_smile.gif
) (change in the sound are little for me) .

Both versions are shadowed by the 600 ohms premium edition here at head fi . There si not  many pages speacking about the Pro version . 

For details after doing some more comparaison , peraphs with the wider soudstage of K702 some details could be a bit hidden in the soudstage , with the DT-880 Pro they appear more easely , (for some track i have to be more carrefully listening with My K702 to hear some things that will be more apparent with DT-880 ) .

But it's jsut personnal tastes and there is no problem at all , we are here to enjoy our setups and commante/debate about them 
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #42 of 49

Quote:

True.
They need dampening.  They seem to depend on part of the sound being returned by reflecting off of the back wall of the cups.  Dampening the back wall cleans up the sound by eliminating the coloration added by the plastic.  I noticed that the sound suffers if the top half of the cups is removed, which contains the wall, thus inspiring my mod for it.  It didn't sound quite sound right using any ol' material lying around until I used Dynamat.

The M-Stage is good, the Dynalo/GS-1 even better. 
biggrin.gif

Interesting, I never knew... could the walls of the can really affect the sound that much? I thought they designed specifically to give them a good sound, it seems there was side effects?

Quote:
Quote:

I agree that K701 is bright. I even describe it as a headphone at the 12 noon time. Super bright.....but that was before. A K701 is ultra bright can damage ear when it is brand new....less hours of burning.....no amp......amp is weak....poor source, etc.

A matured K701 is simply good headphone!
biggrin.gif

Oh good I hope that not truly the case. I don't like really dark ones, but really bright ones may be worse for me....

Quote:

One day I shall get both for comparison, but I really do hope I prefer K701 over the others, its signature just sounded so much like the promised land for my ears. 

Hmm, looking at the graphs the Dt's seem to have better bass for sure, as for certain mids, the K701/702 seem to have better response, and overall a more neutral tone (unless I'm interpreting the graphs wrongly).
 ​

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #43 of 49
wow never realized beyers are so similar to k701 in freq response.

im guessing the only difference is the beyers have slightly more bass and are less bright sounding as well as having less sound stage. (not really less bright, just less airy sounding)

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #44 of 49

Quote:
Interesting, I never knew... could the walls of the can really affect the sound that much? I thought they designed specifically to give them a good sound, it seems there was side effects?

The cups/housings' materials affect the sound a lot to a little depending on the design.  You can see threads around where people swap out the stock cups on closed headphones with wooden ones and so on.  K701 seems to be a weirdo among open headphones.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #45 of 49

Quote:

Oh good I hope that not truly the case. I don't like really dark ones, but really bright ones may be worse for me....

One day I shall get both for comparison, but I really do hope I prefer K701 over the others, its signature just sounded so much like the promised land for my ears. 

Hmm, looking at the graphs the Dt's seem to have better bass for sure, as for certain mids, the K701/702 seem to have better response, and overall a more neutral tone (unless I'm interpreting the graphs wrongly).
 ​

For graph i don't have the pretention to interpret them correctly :p , i can't really say if one is more neutral or not looking at this  , but you really should Try a DT-880 in your setup ^^

Quote:
wow never realized beyers are so similar to k701 in freq response.

im guessing the only difference is the beyers have slightly more bass and are less bright sounding as well as having less sound stage. (not really less bright, just less airy sounding)

They are not soo different sounding , the first seconds i put my DT-880 Pro on my head i though hu , my K702 with a smaller soudstage 
confused_face_2.gif
,  it's not the same headphone ,  yes they have slighty more bass impact , medium are a bit less forward  but highs a bit more prononced  . It's less airy souding more grounded and with more body . But it's Brighter  to me , you wouldn't say that your K701 is brighter than your DT-990 right ? 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back